Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need cam help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need cam help

hey guys i know that you have prolly answered this question thousands of times but i cant just fiqure it out. i dont know which cam to go with. i want to end up makeing between 450-500 hp by the time i am done with the car. but as for now i just want to do a cam. i know i need a ls6 oil pump. but do i just need the ls2 chain or the gears too. and i want it to have a little of a rough idle but not to bad. so which cam would be the best alone with pushrod lifters and whatever else i will need to have a good setup for the car. i dont want heads right now so stick with parts for the stock one. thanks for all the help i just get to many headaches trying to fiqure it out on my own...

my car is a 98 camaro z28. 6speed, slp intake, flowmaster muffler

also is it worth the money to get a full catback exhaust instead of just the muffler like i have. thanks again.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:44 AM

getting the cam would be no issue as far as finding out which one you may like...but most cams absolutely require the upgrade in the valve springs...so if you want to leave the stock valve spring that will limit your choices. ck out my f13 cam..good idle, but needed a much stiffer spring than stock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tskKVcOuApQ. for your eventual power gains, i would def think that a cam in the 230s will be optimal with the rest of the boltons ull eventually get. pm me with questions, i can give you specifics for many different choices.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Launching!

450 to 500 HP is gonna be a comprehensive, effectively, "redesign" of the engine operating parameters. I would be so finite as to say that an RPM of around 6200-6300 is where everything must peak (intake, heads, cam, exhaust, etc.). This is the precision which pressing the LS engine to 500 HP requires. 450 is a little easier, but if you want to ensure results, follow a recipe that falls into this RPM range.

A good start is to take a look at the master recipe for 500, Patrick G. He has switched and tested and replaced much more than my wife would ever allow. Take a look:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=210

I'm now putting on my flame resistant suit as this is typed.........