Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine startup???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 02:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New engine startup???

Getting ready to crank up the new engine and was wondering about what to do for pre-start. I cranked the motor over to hopefully pump some oil through the motor, then I pulled the oil filter and it was still dry. Does the motor have to be running for the pump to siphon the oil from the oil pan? Also, what about the antifreeze, should I get as much in the block as possible before starting? or should I just fill the radiator up and top it off as it drops?

Thanks for any help,
Dan
Old 06-13-2003, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: New engine startup???

You must have been wrenching a bit since I've last been by your house. Glad to hear it is this close.. TTT for ya.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the fuel pump and ignition fuses.....crank it over a few times until you've got oil pressure....replace fuses....start it up and
Old 06-16-2003, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the fuel pump and ignition fuses.....crank it over a few times until you've got oil pressure....replace fuses....start it up and
Yeah, I did that, but it didn't pump jack! I turned it over with no plugs in the heads for a good minute of on, then off again for about 15 seconds a pop, then pulled the oil filter and it was still bone dry. I went ahead and just started the motor on the open Kooks headers and it fired right up and got oil pressure right away, about 80psi. I don't think you pump oil anywhere from just cranking the motor over, unless maybe it's already been primed...

Dan