Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straight skinny on tie bar lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight skinny on tie bar lifters?

So we can drop these in and ditch the factory lifter trays. Excellent.

Any downsides to these? I can see that the tie bar and it's attachment mechanism will add weight.

Anyone ever see these "kink up"? From what I can tell, the tie bars themselves are simply slotted on the ends to allow the lifters to remain parallel. I'm assuming it would take a very long time for any wear issues to show up on them....

So anyone that has run these, I'd sure appreciate any input. I was already planning to use the regular morels on the next upgrade and figured a little more for the tie bar version would be just fine since it would allow for the elimination of a potential oil-return issue.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 11-06-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have no experience with the tie bar but do have the Morels. Excellent lifter, almost like a jewel when you get them. The link bar will have no affect due to weight. Also, the link bar is not fully lifted with the lifter motion further reducing the actual accelerated mass.

You may want to do some searches on some of the powerboat forums. They use the Morels quite a bit due to their durability and you may find information there as well. They also tend to be a bit harder on equipment than us car guys.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to use roller lifters(LS series engines) you have to find a way to keep your lifters from rotating. Your choices are limited. Plastic lifter trays or link bars. Many high performance engines use link bars with success. Link bars or lifter trays shouldn't be the deciding fact when making a lifter purchase. The quality of the lifter itself should.