Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still have ticking noise after new lifters.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Still have ticking noise after new lifters.....

blackls1SS -> It sounds like your problem might be piston slap. Do a search for it and you'll find tons of info.

The rest of you guys -> How far do you have to seat the pickup tube by hand before you start threading the bolt? We JUST finished doing this on a buddy's car and we pushed it up about as far as we could until we could get the bolt in. It seemed fine but I guess we'll find out soon enough. Also, I don't think the O ring can be blown out since there is only suction on that side of the oil pump. If anything, I would think that it would get sucked in and chewed up.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I fixed my problem. Turns out the o-ring I put in to replace my damaged one in the first place was slightly different than a new GM one (the one I used was not as "torus" shaped as the Gm oring). I think this was allowing air to enter the oil, causing it to bubble up which in turn didn't let some of the lifters pump up after a while. I just replaced the Oring and carefully reattached the pickup tube by sliding it onto the oil pump all the way and then installing the bolt.

As far as the Lucas goes, It only served as a bandaid in my case. I haven't used it since I replaced the Oring and haven't had any problems. I've also switched back to Royal Purple, plus I get it for free.

Matt
Old 07-31-2003, 10:35 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, that's right . . . you can't replace that O-ring with a standard off-the-shelf black O-ring, it has to the special orange one. I knew that was your problem when I read your earlier post about you substituting the O-ring.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Teching In

I have the same metallic ticking noise on a head/cam job and i had to change the oil pump pickup tube gasket with one i had laying around for something else. Though they were close enough in size, maybe not. Only makes noise when i put a load on the engine, wont do it in neutral, even at high rpms, have to be in gear and gas it hard. doubtful its lifters, new ls7 lifters on it. gonna check out that dipstick tube and repost. need to change the pan gasket anyway.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

don't forget to oil up the GM o-ring before you install it and the pick-up tube onto oil pump . being dry can damage it during installation .
Old 01-12-2011, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ lol, you all just brought back a thread from 2003.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm glad he did, cause i have the exact same problem! I have done the lifters twice chasing this problem. I just checked and i have foam in the oil. Doing the o-ring this weekend.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you check for foam? I have a very similar problem like this, comes and goes. Cold its usually quiet then as it warms up it starts ticking. I looked in the oil fill hole with it running and the oil coming off the rocker arm didn't look foamy.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Try new ls7 replacement lifter and I have heard some people cutting out some ofcthe material on the lifter tray at the bottom to allow more oil in

just a shot
Old 04-12-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by O2Form
How did you check for foam? I have a very similar problem like this, comes and goes. Cold its usually quiet then as it warms up it starts ticking. I looked in the oil fill hole with it running and the oil coming off the rocker arm didn't look foamy.
When it starts ticking pull the dip stick. Check it for foam.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

where does that o ring go? mine is having the same problem im gonna check for foam too.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6']['9
where does that o ring go? mine is having the same problem im gonna check for foam too.
The O-ring goes on the end of the oil pickup tube where the tube connects to the oil pump. There was a TSB (#02-06-01-038) by GM many years ago about engine ticking caused by a damaged O-ring at the oil pump tube.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:13 AM
Teching In

i have the exact same issue after puttin in comp cam , spring & pushrods, i'm goin to take it for a drive till it ticks & check for foamin oil!! FRUSTRATIN"""
Old 05-29-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy thread revival!!! This is the second revival lol.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Teching In

obviously its a real issue with these motors, if i would have known all the headaches i would have doin this cam , i would never have done it !!!!!
what a friggin' pain in the a$$
Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Some threads are worth keeping alive, gives those of us with the same problem hope for a solution. My car has been down since November of last year while I installed all the parts in my sig just to have what seems to be a bad lifter from initial start-up. I still have a couple things to check before trashing these LS-7 lifters and getting a set of morel linkbars. So xs-cash I feel your pain.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xs-cash
i have the exact same issue after puttin in comp cam , spring & pushrods, i'm goin to take it for a drive till it ticks & check for foamin oil!! FRUSTRATIN"""
no foam in the oil that i could see!!
i give up !!!!
its goin in to a local shop on june the 6th.
i jus wish the people at speed shops actually knew what they were sellin & all the potential headaches that go with it!!!!!!
VERY FRUSTRATIN"
Old 08-27-2018, 10:52 AM

Default Lq4 with ls3 heads and mild cam

BRINGING THIS THREAD BACK ALIVE

Have the same symptoms have lq4 with ls3 heads Asa cam new ls7 lifters comp cam push rods have about 3k Miles on my swap in my car just the other day started to make the slight ticking almost sounds like exhaust leak and motor shakes and runs rough can barely hear the tick over the strait pipes but would the o ring on the pump just all the sudden go bad after 3k Miles and about half those miles real hard driving and beating her...thanks in advanced would really like to get this figured out gonna Check today when I get off work if there is foam on dipstick when it does it....runs mint on start up and first 15 mins of driving
Old 08-27-2018, 11:12 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Three times a charm. The valves hitting home in their seats with high pressure springs are almost always overlooked and often confused with other noises. This is accentuated with headers as there is less sound deadening to them vs manifolds. Thats not to say ticking isnt related to the usual lifters, piston slap, too little or too much preload. I post today because even with all of those things good you can still have a real ticky engine thats operating perfectly because of the valves hammering in hard. Some lobes are worse than others and the more seat pressure your springs have the more likely your going to hear ticking. With duals ticking is especially noticeable
Old 08-27-2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by cam
Three times a charm. The valves hitting home in their seats with high pressure springs are almost always overlooked and often confused with other noises. This is accentuated with headers as there is less sound deadening to them vs manifolds. Thats not to say ticking isnt related to the usual lifters, piston slap, too little or too much preload. I post today because even with all of those things good you can still have a real ticky engine thats operating perfectly because of the valves hammering in hard. Some lobes are worse than others and the more seat pressure your springs have the more likely your going to hear ticking. With duals ticking is especially noticeable
has factory ls3 spring not high pressure springs as the cam isn’t a huge lift only 525

Quick Reply: Still have ticking noise after new lifters.....