Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the best places for pistons head gaskets and rings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best places for pistons head gaskets and rings?

Hello, Im a new poster and I am currently building a biturbo ls1 out of my LS1 that unfortunately blew at 30k miles . Anywhoo, Im 19 years old, recently completed an "Engine Performance and Emissions Controlls" ASE supported semester, and just pulled my LS1. Im building on a budget but I would like to have my engine last a good 15k miles this time with twin turbo boost that can do a clean 600 rwhp at a few pounds of boost without breakin a sweat.

1. I am woundering what type of head gaskets to go with- if I may run a few seconds of 800 pluse hp I am worried the factory stuff may blow, distort or liquify at such internal stress.

2. I am looking around for some good compromise of price for sure and reliability. I'm not that worried about holes in the pistons but a ceramic coat on top would be nice, and rings are pretty cruicial, I dont want any split rings after 100 hours of labor.

3. Im woundering about opinions on the vortec bearings, who thinks they are good for this? Who thinks not? My engine barely rolled to 30k original miles and split rings I believe, just pulled it havnt confirmed that yet but its most likely.

Ideally Id like to spend minimal cash (of corse haha) and I drive super cool for a 19yr old, I dont go flooring it all over like an idiot. I just want a solid engine that wont go "pop" after getting a few pounds of boost in her a couple times a month maybe. So any input would be great, I got the whole building thing on LOCK with my setup and tune and blabla but any input on where to get good parts is a definate help, I am so unknowledgable on where to go right now. I should have done a total strip down on my LS1 by this coming tuesday or wendsday, so Ill probly order all internal parts mid to late next week and would really appreciate input!!!! Thanks.