Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with a few things

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with a few things

ok guys ive had a 02 zo6 that was a cam only car but i never worked on it really and sold the car. I'am now building a ls1 99 short block from a trans am . Its the block, crank,rods pistons, thats it. [1] I need someone to help me out with a list of everything i need to finsh the engine. [2] Iam looking to build this thing to have good power but cheap with close to stock parts, and maybe a mild cam or zo6 cam. [3] I see alot of numbered heads for sale, do they all fit ls1's , iam just looking for a cheap head or even stock head to port, is there a number for the stock head. [4] maybe some one knows where i can find a cut-a-way picture and list of parts for the ls1

Any help would be great, i know its a lot to ask in one post sorry guys.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll probably miss something but to complete the long block you need:

Oil pump/pickup
Oil pan
timing chain/gears
timing cover/bolts
cam
cam mounting plate/bolts
heads
head bolts
lifters
lifter trays
lifter valley cover
pushrods
rocker arms
valve covers
gaskets
spark plugs
plugs/sensors

If your on a budget take a look at the heads from texas speed and patriot. If you have to buy heads anyway you can get some nice ported ls6 heads for not much more money. And if it were me I would go a little more than the LS6 cam. At least a TR224 or a 228/232 for a nice street package.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks man , i'll look into the heads also, my zo6 had a v3 cam and stock ls6 heads and it put 431 down so i might really think about the ported ls6 heads . I 'll read your list and get finding my parts