Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Street/Strip setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Street/Strip setup

Hello All, I come from the 5.0 mustang area, I have ran mustangs for about 10yrs on alot of nitrous with great success.

My questions are broad, but I think this is a good place to start. I have read quite a bit of the forum already to educate myself alittle. I'm picking up a 98-02 WS6 when I find the right color in my area (Pewter). I'll be geting a M6 ad building it for limited street and mainly strip duty. I'm looking at using 300-400HP shot of nitrous through two stages, one Noszle and one at the TB. From what I've read so far the heads worked up are more than adequet for HP levels up to 600HP, I will be pulling the motor and adding good bolts, maybe Eagle rods (if necessary) and better pistons (again if neccessary) I have extensive experience tuning nitrous and ran over 300HP single shot on stock bottom end 5.0s for 100+ passes, learning more about the LS based engines they are alot stronger than the vonerable SBF bottom end.

??'s

1. Cam? Custom is always an option, and I may take that route. But out of the box which cam is going to provide good power with vastly improved intake and exhaust? Redline on my combo would be 6500RPM

2. Heads? I have looked at a few aftermarket brands and I think I can get very close results with Patriots or similar services.

3. Intake? I am 99% sold on the FAST intake for one reason: It will allow me use a std fogger type nitrous setup wihtout modifications, easy install if I decide to switch a systems later.

4. Headers? I see Edelbrock makes a ceramic coated 1 3/4'-1 1 7/8' stepped header, are these used very much or should I skip and go 1 7/8" right from the get go? Also exhaust system? I was quite easy to buy off the shelf parts to put 3 1/2" on my mustangs that fit very well. I have yet to find a good racy exhaust sytem that will bolt-on....lots that 'sound' good but I'm into the performance end of things (if you havent noticed)

5. Rockers? I see T&D makes a shaft sytem as well as Jesel....any durability issues with the stock goemetry if using crane stud mounts? I have pulled studs out of SBCs with Dart heads in the past, not an experience I want to go through again. With a .600"+ cam there will be some higher pressure present.

6 TB? 78mm or 90mm 90% off my mustangs we ran the stock TB because the nitrous was added to the engine after the TB. And bigger would have done very little. But that was a smaller engine and we want to make a bit more off-the-bottle HP with the LS.

If I made 400-450HP off the bottle that would put our combo right where we want to be. I would like to note we are at 4200ft elevation with a large body of water next to the track so we get routine crap air....as high as 7000ft corrected on the weather station.

Thanks for any feedback