Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REV retainer install ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REV retainer install ?'s

Installing the double valve springs, and am having trouble figuring out how to install the lower retainer under the spring (it looks like a regular retainer but with a larger hole in the middle and has a small ledge inside to hold the inner spring centered. do I need another type of valve stem seal? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: REV retainer install ?'s

don't need another type,but you better replace those vavle seals with new ones!
Old 07-04-2003, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

what year is your car? if it's an 01 or 02 (might have been on the 00's but i don't know) it has the new style seat/seal combination that must be replaced. you simply pull the stock valve seal/seat combo with a pair of plyers, then set in the new seat, and then push on a new valve seal on with you hand (it's kind of tough to get the new ones on but you will feel them kind of click on). i used the seals from thunder racing which arn't factory GM seals. if i'm not mistaken however, you can use the 98/99 GM valve seals (make sure you put them on correct, the GM seals have an intake seal and exhaust seal for the different valves). if you have a car that has the old style where the seal and the seat are sepearate then you just pull off the seals with a pair of plyers, pull out the old seat, put in the new seat, and then put in your new valve seals. sorry the post is long, just trying to cover everything. good luck
Old 07-04-2003, 01:55 PM
Teching In

KGSloan, Thank you so much that is exactly what the problem is, the seat and the seal are 1 piece and the smaller valve spring is sitting on a hump in between. I searched all over the internet incuding REV's website and found nothing that mentioned that problem. Thanks for all the help! The car is manf. August of 01,
Old 07-08-2003, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Slone is correct. ..the REV srings require a different valve seal that you must buy...and a hardened seat...

The REV springs use a different valve seal....the old retainer, spring and seals must be removed,

...the new seat, new seal, new sring, new retainer are replaced with this set up....