Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found these bits on my drain plug need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Found these bits on my drain plug need some help

.Happy Easter guys.Well we have our track rental at Atco tomorrow so I changed the oil and filter before the beating commenced. I found two small flay metal pieces on the drain magnet. I pulled the valve covers and removed each and every rocker arm for inspection. They all checked out fine. Nothing else under there looked amiss. The motor runs fine no noises. I took her out for some passes and power seems good. Obviously this is bothering the hell out of me maybe somebody else could chime in. The pieces look like they are from something round in shape and if you look close at the bigger piece it has a crease running along the centerline.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like a piece of the seat that sits under each valve spring. When you looked at your rockers did you take a close look under the springs? The stockers are less beefy than the one in this pic (for duals):

Old 03-23-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cut the oil filter apart and see whats stuck inside (if anything).
Old 03-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Teching In

i hope its not ur spring retaining locks cuz that means u could drop a valve easily which means bye bye engine. check your oil filter as suggested, and id prolly be pulling the head to inspect the valve spring seats. wish you luck!
Old 03-23-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99redzed
i hope its not ur spring retaining locks cuz that means u could drop a valve easily which means bye bye engine. check your oil filter as suggested, and id prolly be pulling the head to inspect the valve spring seats. wish you luck!
No need to pull the head to check the spring seat. Just pull the valve cover and remove the springs.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Teching In

^^ he has more experience on LS1's than i do obviously, sorry for misleading suggestions
Old 03-23-2008, 02:25 PM
9 Second Club

I cut the filter open when I found the bits on the drain plug yesterday. Nothing in there. I did 2 full WOT pulls yesterday after I put the rockers back in as I stated above. Seemed to pull good and reved clean upstairs.I pulled the drain plug again this morning and it was clean. I should mention the car has aftermarket dual springs , Ti retainers,and Crane pushrods. This metal is very very thin to be a spring seat. But no doubt a great suggestion.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It looks like a piece of "flash" that broke off.

At least it is broken and not ground up.

You say you had the rods replaced.

Might be part of a retainer/lock off one of the rod bolts.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:59 PM
9 Second Club

Where did I mention rod replacement? LOL still spinning the stock shortblock. My car just cracked 22K miles (alright 22K pretty tough miles) but things like oil pressure is great over 40PSI@ idle and around 60 under normal highway cruising rpm. I am **** when it comes to oil changes. I changed it before my last rental in November of '07 the car sat since then maybe 200 miles on that oil but I figure what the hell she's gonna get beat up again tomorrow. Thats why I changed it and found this surprise. I'm going racing in the morning boys keep your fingers crossed I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the input I REALLY appreciate it!

John Jr
Old 03-24-2008, 04:24 AM
Restricted User

you running type r lifters by any chance?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

It's thin it appearance from the pics, perhaps a piece of windage tray? I'm thinking something very thin. A cover or sheild of somekind. Perhaps a crankshaft counterweight hit the windage tray for a nanosecond at high RPM??? Either way doesn't look like you'll hurt anything by keep driving it. Ever do a camswap? Perhaps it's the metal tabs that bend up around the camshaft bolts?? It's thin like that material anyways