Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Motor Choice

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Motor Choice

First off, I was about to post this in the conversions and hybrids sections but I figured that I would get better responses here. Ok, so I'm getting ready to do a complete rebuild of my truck. The truck is a 2000 Toyota Tacoma--2.7 4-banger . I love the Yoter reliability but the power or lack-there-of I should say is killing me. It's getting ready for a SAS and complete drivetrain swap...and I want to do something that hasn't been done before.

So...about the motor. I've been around LS1's my entire life and they're the one's I'm most familiar with. I was thinking of taking a LS1 347 Al. block and making a 383 stroker out of it. My reasons are:

1. It's weighs less than an iron block.
2. It's a truck so I care more about torque rather than a high revving power-brand...I want low-end grunt.

I've researched a bit and found stroker kits to assembled 383 LS1 short blocks. SPDC sells one for a little under $4K I believe. What would be the best way to go in terms of the best bang for your buck, not necessarily a cheap build but the best set-up for the money...

1. Building an existing LS1.
OR
2. Buying an assembled 383 short-block from one of the sponsors.

I'm open to all opinions so feel free to say whatever you wish.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO if you are starting from scratch you can always do one of our 403 LS2's. And now until th3 30th we have a special on them.

Reason i say that is if you had an existing LS1 car i would say stick with it, but starting from scratch no reason not to upgrade. Or, we also have a 383 package available. Feel free to call me and give me a shout.

-Marcus
Old 04-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Marcus-

Appreciate it. I'll look into it...the reason why I was thinking of using a LS1 is because I'm about to buy a '01 T/A BONE STOCK and I was going to pull the motor out of it and swap it into the Yota, and then put a 408 into the T/A. But if it's easier just to buy a LS2 short block with the necessary internals, then I'd rather do that.

I'll clarify some things:

1. I've come to the understanding that the iron blocks only weigh 70 lbs more than the LS1's. I know that the LS1 fully dressed weighs around 400, so the iron block should be in the high 400's low 500's...so I'll look into that route some more.

2. Since it's fit will be a tight fit anyways and I'm putting in a custom cooling system I need something that won't overheat easy. It won't be a DD necessarily but it will be driven on the road quite a bit and will be taken to the trails a lot.

3. Not really worried about the price, I just don't want to spend tons of money on a set-up that won''t be streetable. I guess in the end...I could go with anywhere in the 400-475 RWHP range...but would prefer to have 500+ Lbs./Trq.

Any more suggestions?