Sponsored by:

Help!!! All Parts For Cam Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:55 AM
JJT
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help!!! All Parts For Cam Swap

Can someone please tell me all the parts I need to get with a new cam? I'm getting the comp cam 265xr. I have a 00 TA. I want to get the Patriot kit, but everyone is telling me that the cam it comes with is illegely in CA. Can I get the kit and use the comp cam 265xr with the parts that come with the Patriot kit. Also, is it worth getting new heads with 100,000 miles on my car? With this change and all the other ones I have, (FAST 90mm intakew/TB, Borla exhaust, JBA headers). Do I need to worry about the suspension? Thanks.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

You'll be fine going with a comp cam and patriot dual valve spring kit. This should come with: GM LS Series Patriot Gold Dual Valve Spring Kit Includes Patriot Gold Springs, Super 7 Locks,Titanium retainers,Seals,& .505 OR .565 Bases.

With that size cam, your probably okay with stock pushrods and lifters, but you may want to think about investing in some.

You'll also need a timing chain.

As for heads, that's not a cheap mod. Not necessary, but will give you more horsepower.

Before doing your cam, make sure your car breathes and exhales, ie. intake mods and headers... Do you have the LS6 intake manifold or better? Not sure if the '00 came stock with the LS6 like my '01...
Old 05-07-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

No way will you want to use stock pushrods with dual springs. It won't take much to bend them.

As for a list:

hardened pushrods
dual springs
valve seals
spring seats
spring retainers
with a 100,000 miles on the car, definitely a new timing chain
with a 100,000 miles on the car, probably a new oil pump
timing cover gasket
water pump gaskets
a new tune
Old 05-07-2008, 11:58 AM
JJT
On The Tree

No, it did not come stock with the LS6. That's why I got the FAST LSX 90mm manifold/wTB. I got the SLP intake lid, Borla exhaust duel tips, custom Y-pipe, and Granateli MAF sensor. I wanted QTP headers, but didn't want to deal with the CA bull---- laws. So I got Shorty JBA's. Think, this is good enough to breath? I also put the SLP performance in from the DIABLO programmar. I don't care what anybody says...It made a difference.

Do I need to worry about suspension with all these mods. Thanks for the reply man.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you're going to be making more power, obviously some suspension work will help get it to the ground. At minimum, get a set of lower control arms and a panhard rod. If you can swing it, get a torque arm too.

When you get tuned, you may want to ditch the Granatelli MAF. Many people, including myself, have had issues with them. A ported stock MAF or some MAF ends work better.