Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Adjustment on LS1

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment on LS1

I was on another forum and several of the members were contending that you didn't have to rotate the engine to TDC for #1 cylinder before torqueing down the rocker arms for that cylinder and then go to each successive cylinder in the firing order. I've always done this to insure the valves are completely closed to avoid mis-adjustments. How would this not be necessary with the LS1? They say you can just torque the rockers at the same time to 22 lbs. without rotating the engine. Help me understand this.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Valve Adjustment on LS1

I am afraid of one coming loose and have always spun and retorqued. It cant hurt, and there's enough posts on here about loose rocker arms to warrant doing it IMHO.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

I too have always spun and retorqued. Cant hurt.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I allways rotate the engine, but did this test, and it came out the same, didnt matter if the engine was rotated or not, still torked to 22ft lbs, I like to rotate anyway just to make sure, only takes 5 more min.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:13 PM

The preload isnt adjusted the same as the SBC. Our lash is only adjust with aftermarket adjustable rockers or shorter/longer pushrods. On the SBC, you tighten the rockers to 0 lash and then a 1/4 turn. With the LS1, you just tighten the rocker bolt to 22 lbs. and youre done. Its supposed to get you in the ballpark of correct preload. Most count the turns after 0 lash to make sure the preload is near right (its a rough 1/4 - 2 turns).

Help ya any?

BTW~ you DO have to make sure the one cylinder you are working on is at TDC. Once you verify that one is right, then they all will be right because you cant deviate from the 22 ft. lbs the rocker bolt HAS to be torqued to

Quick Reply: Valve Adjustment on LS1