Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with pushrods

Well after much searching on the forums for this topic, which im sure alot of people are tired of hearing, i cant seem to get the dam Comp Cams PRLC tool to work with me. I've got Cyl #1 to TDC when i turn the PR tool untill the rocker *tick* stops i keep getting different number of turns on the Tool ranging from anywhere from 7-11 turns. This idea of *Snugging* the bolt is very VAGUE. No matter you snug it at, it will tighten the rocker thus not allowing it to move anymore

Would like some input on what i am doing wrong....Please help

I have on there now a TR230 with Dual Gold patriot springs and i was thinking of just buying the 7.425" but i wanted to make sure of it
Old 05-23-2008, 04:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you are starting with the length too long, shorten it up and lengthen a little at a time until you get zero lash. As for snugging the bolt, as you screw in the bolt, the rocker will bottom against the aluminum rocker stand, once you reach this point the rocker doesn't move any further, rather the bolt tightens and stretches. So tighten the bolt by hand then give it a little turn with the wrench to snug, you are only ensuring the rocker is bottomed hard against the stand.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok..And then from there i push the rocker onto the pushrod until it stops ticking? Cause i was listening for it hitting against the valve stem
Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If there is a little slop (pushrod too short) the rocker will move back and forth and tick against either the pusrhrod or the valve stem. As you lengthen the pushrod, that slop will disappear and there will not be any more "tick" when you move it. Once you get close, the amount you unscrew the psuhrod will be very small.