Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wouldn't I see a DTC if I lost a cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wouldn't I see a DTC if I lost a cylinder?

I was driving down the road about 45mph in 4th when i put it in 6th and got a horrible bogging sound and the car felt kind like it was hopping and tapping. IT now ticks when revved up and under load sounds like an exhaust leak? It also misses under load and starting off almost like it's the clutch slipping? I've never seen, heard or felt anything like this. If a cylinder dropped would I see a DTC on the scanmaster or get a SES light? Fuel pressure is normal, oil pressure normal, LT's are normal, idle is normal.. car just feels rough at idle, revving up car goes through rpm range normal just w/ tapping exhaust leak sound. My throwout bearing has been making alot of noise lately could it have went causing all of this? The car is a 01'M6 Z-28 w/ a Spec III clutch, adj master, and most bolt ons. Any advice is appreciated, i'm 2,000 miles out of warranty.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:25 PM
Restricted User

Default Re: Wouldn't I see a DTC if I lost a cylinder?

I would hope so. My friend bent a few valves and I cant remember, I think his light came on and then went off, at the same time, burnt the ground strap off a plug and the light was not on. Dayum, hope its all good.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Wouldn't I see a DTC if I lost a cylinder?

I'm a retard, I started thinking about the ticking noise all the time and the missing, plus the fact that CAT3 said his friend burnt a plug wire and didn't get a SES light. So sure enough i was down a cylinder cause one of my damn plug wires worked it's way loose. Thanks the Z is good to go again!