Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top End Knock, Burning Oil, Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top End Knock, Burning Oil, Suggestions?

Ok this is a mystery for me LoL I have a top end knock that isn't there when you first start it up, only happens when it gets up to temp. When it gets up to temp, it gets really bad and then goes away. Then it comes back and goes away. The car is burning oil pretty bad (already have a catch can) and my oil pressure is @ 25 psi at idle, 32 max psi when driving. It doesn't burn oil constantly only periodically. Checked the spark plugs, the number 7 cylinder plug is caked in oil. Do you think it could be just a valve or do you think has something to do with the piston/bottom end? The knock sounds right under the valve cover on the driver side between 5 and 7. the number 5 plug is fine and has no oil on it. I recently did a lifter change and it had problems starting up. Kicked back the starter and did a sudden stop on the end. Had to do with the battery being low as I read on the forums doing some research. I'm wondering if it has a bent valve... I don't know if a bent valve would make a top end knock. Compression is also abnormal in the #7 cylinder. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm planning for the worst. If it's bottom end, time for an LS6 LoL Thanks guys.

Jeff
Old 06-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the head and check the valves and seats, i just built the whole top end of my motor with everything in sig, oil pressure was low at warm idle 25psi, 65 miles later I spun a bearing, time for a 402.