Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Gas???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Gas???

I posted this in the fueling section but thought I'd try it here also...

I took the car out last week for the first time in months. Over the winter I did a lot of mods. The only thing I did to the engine was new rod bolts and plugs. Also went to dumped bullets instead of the ORY and cutout.

The idle is wandering a little and the car wants to die when I come to a stop. The first time I got on it a little, it broke up on the high end. Sounds and smells rich so I pull one of my brand new TR6's and... Very rich looking.

The SES light is on but I haven't scanned it, no scanner, and the roads are wet.

It has gas from last October. Could this be my problem? I put some stabil in but it was after the gas was a few months old. Anyone had a similar problem with bad gas? I don't want to drive the car to get it scanned if I'm washing the cylinders...

Car ran great last year and it is in open loop.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably not bad gas. Unlike in the old days when a few months would turn gasoline into something that smelled more like turpentine, in my experience today's fuels are ok over a few months.

Check that the wires are all seated properly. Your SES is probably P0300, random multiple misfires.

Many of these performance EFI cars will have a hunting idle after a long rest. In my experience, this symptom has gone away on it's own after a few cycles. Good luck with it.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I ended up getting a scanner and it was p0104 - low voltage at the MAF. Turns out it was no voltage at the MAF. Don't have any blown fuses so I must have cut a wire or something. Anyway, jumped the MAF from the underhood block and the code is gone. Going to give it a try later if it doesn't rain...