Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Bleed Down

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lifter Bleed Down

ok have a question for you guys, i have this really bad ticking noise, sounds defiantly like a lifter. It seems to be worse right at start up till about 10 min of warming up, then quiets down but still pretty loud.

Anyways i pulled off the valve covers today to take a look, and noticed that i could push down the rocker on the push rod side down a little.

Now i know the lifters should bleed down a while, but wouldnt that be on only the ones that arent on the base circle. I could do this to all of mine. It was like all the them bled down. I ran the car yesterday so is this normal to bleed down all the lifters in under 24 hours.

I'm thinking my lifters aren't staying pumped up and thats the reason for the loud ticking noise. Just wondering if anyone has any idea on this matter.

thanks
Justin
Old 06-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

just quickly,have you checked pushrod length?also you should be running chrome moly pushrods(probably .050 to .100")longer.how long since last oil change also? just thinking aloud for you.
cheers dave.

vn commodore,iron 427,dd,still waiting on street warrior.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

havn't rechecked the length was going to do that tomorrow, but when i put it in last summer i checked them out to be .055 on the exhuast and .08 on the intake (different because i had dart cnc my heads and they re cut my exhuast valves to i could reuse them). And they are push rods from smith brothers so they are good. I also changed the oil right when it came out of storage which was no more then 3 weeks ago.

Justin
Old 06-29-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

anybody have any thoughts?
Old 06-29-2008, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be something as simple as dirt in the lifter causing it not to hold oil. I personally have fixed sticking lifters by loosening the rockers and pushing up and down on the pushrod. Try that before pulling the heads.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

well pulled the valley cover off to take a look at the cam, and well its scuffed up, looks like the lifters were bouncing off of the cam. So i'm guessing for some reason the lifters were never pumping up, for why i dont know.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your bleed down test sounds normal to me. They will bleed off quick when it's not running. I had a similar problem when I first did my heads/cam/lifters, but not on every cold start up. It would do it once in a while. I could hear it ticking inside the car with my loud exhaust, and it would go away when warmed up. After some miles the problem went away, don't know why.

Quick Reply: Lifter Bleed Down