Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So uhh... This is what a valve stem seal spring looks like... right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So uhh... This is what a valve stem seal spring looks like... right?

Found this little bastard on my drain plug today... figured maybe my burning oil was just my choice of oil so decided to put some Royal Purple in, and found that, so now I've got a fresh load of RP in there, and need to do ****
Attached Thumbnails So uhh... This is what a valve stem seal spring looks like... right?-image_228.jpg  
Old 07-03-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How new are the seals? If relatively new, you could just change those that lost springs. Otherwise, you could do them all.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vettenuts
How new are the seals? If relatively new, you could just change those that lost springs. Otherwise, you could do them all.
7 or 8 months I guess, whenever I got my cam, but been smoking a bit for the last few months, but I figured it was just my choice in oil... not down on power or anything like that, don't know how long ago I did my oil but I guess it makes sense now
Old 07-03-2008, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

I found the exact same thing in my oil once. It was right after the cam install. How did you install the new seals? I pushed mine on by hand but it apparently wasnt enough.....the seal got thrashed around so much it threw the spring and chewed up the seal itself. Go back and redo the valve seals. This time use a (i think) 11mm deep socket. It might need a smaller size. And TAP it down until it seats (stops moving) with a small hammer. Just make sure the socket you are using isnt hitting the little spring on the seal.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
I found the exact same thing in my oil once. It was right after the cam install. How did you install the new seals? I pushed mine on by hand but it apparently wasnt enough.....the seal got thrashed around so much it threw the spring and chewed up the seal itself. Go back and redo the valve seals. This time use a (i think) 11mm deep socket. It might need a smaller size. And TAP it down until it seats (stops moving) with a small hammer. Just make sure the socket you are using isnt hitting the little spring on the seal.
they were installed with the socket method... I trust the guy who did it, he'll likely do them for me this time around as well because I don't have all the tools necessary to do it myself.

it's probably a rear one too with my luck, but I think we're just going to replace the whole lot of em and call it a day
Old 07-04-2008, 05:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some times the socket will grab or nick the spring and brake it off. or it just may be a old one from removing the old seals. Take a pin flash light and look between the springs and see if any are missing
Old 07-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Banned

Red face nothing

He who risks nothing gains nothing.    / \./ \/\_   I Hand You  __{^\_ _}_  ) }/^\    A Rose... / /\_/^\._}_/ // / ( (__{(@)}\__}.//_/__A___A__wow gold____A__wow gold_A______A____ \__/{/(_)\_} )\\ \\---v----V-----V--Y----v---Y-----  (  (__)_)_/ )\ \>     \__/   \__/\/\/
Old 07-05-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spetertoi
He who risks nothing gains nothing.    / \./ \/\_   I Hand You  __{^\_ _}_  ) }/^\    A Rose... / /\_/^\._}_/ // / ( (__{(@)}\__}.//_/__A___A__wow gold____A__wow gold_A______A____ \__/{/(_)\_} )\\ \\---v----V-----V--Y----v---Y-----  (  (__)_)_/ )\ \>     \__/   \__/\/\/
Old 07-05-2008, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 07-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Launching!

why isn't this guy banned yet?
Old 07-05-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know; but he's getting on my nerves.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

I just found one under my valve cover, Unfortunately, I also found a spring that was broken into 6 pieces. Just replaced them all with PRC Extremes. Hopefully these will hold up better. Good luck.
Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
Found this little bastard on my drain plug today... figured maybe my burning oil was just my choice of oil so decided to put some Royal Purple in, and found that, so now I've got a fresh load of RP in there, and need to do ****