Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might be in the clear!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be in the clear!

I have had a strange ticking noise going on the past week or so. I thought it might be collapsed lifter or something so I took the valve cover off and everything was oiling just fine. I checked the endplay on the rockers and they were ok. I haven't really had a chance to check the pushrods yet. I drained my oil today for fear of a spun rod bearing or main bearing and there wasn't any shavings in the oil. Isn't this really a tell tell sign of a spun bearing in most cases? Do you all think it could still be a lifter going bad? It does it right off on startup and will quiten down after a second, but when you give it some throttle it does it. Any and all opinions are appreciated, as long as it isn't in the bottom end then I am going to be buying a completely new topend (Heads,rockers,pushrods,springs,lifters) Yes I did search for a FEW days on end. Thanks in advance, Matt
Old 07-14-2008, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

No help??
Old 07-14-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spun rod bearing typically has more of a "clanking" noise rather than a ticking noise. It also has relation to the throttle... the more you give it gas, the faster the "clanking" will be...

ticking would suggest an exhaust leak, bent pushrod, failed rocker or lifter...

I spun a rod bearing, my oil pressure was fine, no shavings in the oil... took 10 runs on the dyno till we finally decided to call it quits before a piston went though the side of the block...

pulled the engine apart.... every piston hit by every valve, failed lifter, 3 bent pushrods, spun rod bearing... and the engine still made 300rwhp on the dyno after 10 runs to redline... go figure
Old 07-14-2008, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Leave it to an LS1 to go to **** and still dyno higher than alot of mustangs Thanks for the help
Old 07-14-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02WS6_TA
Leave it to an LS1 to go to **** and still dyno higher than alot of mustangs Thanks for the help