Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front engine oil leak (blown front main?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front engine oil leak (blown front main?)

I've got oil coming out of the front of my motor under high RPMs. When driving around normally, it doesn't leak (or if it does, its very minor). At WOT it blows out enough oil to burn off on the exhaust and put some droplets on the rear tires (needless to say, I stopped going WOT).

Problem is, I can't tell where the hell its coming from. The oil is pretty much all over the lower front part of the motor, and I can't see anything with enough parts on the car to get it running. I had just installed a QTP two-piece timing cover but (stupidly) didn't put any gasket maker between the two pieces. However, I'm thinking this mistake would not cause a significant leak. I did use RTV on the corners of the lower cover, as per the service manual.

Could this be a front main seal to crank sealing issue? Or would the front main leak more steadily under all RPMs? I'm thinking of just loosening the timing cover bolts to make sure its centered on the crank pulley, adding some gasket maker to the timing cover, and bolting it back together. Pulling the crank pulley is a huge PITA on a C5, so I'd rather not do it unless I have to.

My PCV system (LS6 with catch can and breather filter) appears to be functioning (it puffs very faintly at idle), so I don't see how the seal could be blowing out due to crank case pressure.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

take the cover back off, and put a bunch of rtv between the two pieces and put more on the bottom. did it leak before you put that cover on?
Old 07-22-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if this is yoru problem.. ... .. GM states that the front seal needs to be replace everytime you pull the balancer/pulley. I pulled my balancer once and use the old seal.... It look ok.. but once it was back together.. LEAK !!!!.. So, change the seal everytime you remove the balancer..! per the FSM.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:21 AM
Staging Lane

Having the seal centered on the crankshaft is absolutely critical to get them to seal well, GM does make a tool to center the cover. I just eyeball is is pretty easy to move the cover and get it .02-.03 off center, This WILL cause a leak, I have successfully re-used the front seal 3X on my car, you just have to be very careful that you center the seal. Hope that helps.. Goodluck.

Kurt
Old 07-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Well... I found the leak. I'd put the timing cover gasket on backwards!

Fortunately, I was able to flip the gasket around without removing the timing cover (and thus the steering rack, ABS module, and all the other crap thats in the way of the crank pulley on Corvettes). I also loosened the pulley and tightened it back down again with the timing cover loose to make sure it was centered on the crank seal.

Leak fixed.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

LOL that sucks

Quick Reply: Front engine oil leak (blown front main?)