Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning 1 qt of oil per 1,000 miles, whats up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Burning 1 qt of oil per 1,000 miles, whats up?

My new combo (LS2 short block with PP III heads) burns about 1 qt of oil per 1,000 miles. On the dyno 2 months ago, I watched as Dan @ Livernois ran the car on the dyno. When the engine would hit 6,000RPM, there was a very noticable blue smoke coming out of the tail pipes during the tuning process.

The engine does not leak a single drop of oil. Therefore, the oil must be being consumed in the combustion chambers. How can that much oil be consumed? It must be getting past the valve guides, I figure. I do have the umbrellas in place. What do I do? Pull the heads and have new (better) valve guides installed?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's only a few ways for oil to get into the chamber. From below or up top. Are the intake rocker bolts sealed? IS your pcv system working? do you have a catch can?

Are you sucking oil from the passenger valve cover to TB hose?
I would eliminate the easy stuff first. If all the above has been done and it good to go then it must be coming from below.

You could eliminate all the routes the oil can take to get into the chamber from up top and see if it goes away. IF it doesnt you know what it is.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) All of the rocker arm bolts had blue (medium strenght) loctite on the threads.

2) I replaced the LS1 engine with an LS2 short block. The hose coming from the pass side valve cover, between coils 2 & 4, is connected to the TB.

3) The tubes at the back of both valve covers are sealed off. The long hose going around the back of the block has been removed. I think that this stuff is the AIR system. Please correct me if that is not correct.

4) The metal tube coming out of the valley cover is sealed off, as well as, the tube port on the pass side of TB. I was running a catch can, but it was made of plastic, it started to melt, so I removed it.

5) The EGR system, as far as I know, is working properly.

Please help me see how I am getting oil into the chambers? Is it mainly due to #2 above?

What about not running a catch can? Do I really need it?
Old 08-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say this:
You blocked off all the ways for crank case pressure to escape it sound like except one and its a small diameter hose. Your oil is coming from there. Your sucking oil into the intake from the valve cover and it's being added by the crank case pressure You need to decide how you want to vent your crank case pressure and go from there.
You have many options.

The RevXtreme catch can setup might be a good option for you. Check it out there are numerous threads on it.

OR you could just run a vented oil cap and call it a day.. but there is an argument with that as well

BUT you need to do something different that what you are.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Get yourself a LS6 PCV kit from Thunder racing. That should ease your issue and you can keep your setup as is (just TB to valve coer hook up)

Quick Reply: Burning 1 qt of oil per 1,000 miles, whats up?