Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam bearing walked out

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam bearing walked out

Have any of you guys experienced a cam bearing walking out before on these motors. I built a forged LS1 and the machine shop I used installed the cam bearings as I had tons of trouble doing it myself. They said that it is not totally uncommon for these AL blocks to have this happen. They said that sometimes the aftermarket bearings don't always fit like the GM bearings. So they are putting GM bearings in my block. They said the bore looks good and within spec but I'm just not sure if it was the bearing or the installed it improperly. I mean how can you tell? Shouldn't it be obvious if the cam bearing is in there right as it is either in there straight or not right? Has anyone else every experienced this before?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm interesting, I'm having my clevites replaced with some Durabond durashield racing cam bearings right now. I haven't heard of an aftermarket bearing walking out of the journal but I guess anything is possible... Maybe someone else has had this happen to them. All I know is that the GM stock bearings are pretty soft. If you are going with a large cam or something then maybe replace them with some high performance GM cam bearings...if they even make them lol.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It can't be very common because this is the first post I have ever seen about the problem. If installed properly, they should never walk out.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

We have never had a problem with the original GM bearings but I know of 6 engines with aftermarket bearings that have lost their press and walked
Old 09-26-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dale C
We have never had a problem with the original GM bearings but I know of 6 engines with aftermarket bearings that have lost their press and walked
Is this Dale from Tach it up motorsport? if so this john..You put in a new cam for me in my formula and tune..
Old 09-26-2008, 07:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by svsgt1
Have any of you guys experienced a cam bearing walking out before on these motors. I built a forged LS1 and the machine shop I used installed the cam bearings as I had tons of trouble doing it myself. They said that it is not totally uncommon for these AL blocks to have this happen. They said that sometimes the aftermarket bearings don't always fit like the GM bearings. So they are putting GM bearings in my block. They said the bore looks good and within spec but I'm just not sure if it was the bearing or the installed it improperly. I mean how can you tell? Shouldn't it be obvious if the cam bearing is in there right as it is either in there straight or not right? Has anyone else every experienced this before?

Thanks,
Adam
Adam,

The only reasons I could think of why this could happen is if you installed the bearings then pushed them out and re-installed them or if the bearings were incorrectly installed. I personally have never seen nor heard of this happening in an LSx series engine... I do recommend ONLY using Dura-bond cam bearings as I have seen other manufacturers have clearance issues...

Shane

Quick Reply: Cam bearing walked out