Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advise on H/C & piston slap

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advise on H/C & piston slap

I have a TR224, AS stage 2's, pulley, lifters,Katech pump and chain Ect. to put in my car. But it has pretty bad piston slap. It has the paint can rattle @ 1500 rpm and also the loud tick. Both sounds continue after the car is hot. The rattle dose quite down some when hot but the tick gets worse.

Anyways, I was going to just pull the motor and put in forged pistons myself, but that is just to much $$$. Then i decided to just ignore it. Now I'am second thinking that again. It seems like these are my options.

1) Just install the cam and other stuff. And hope that the new pump O'ring & lifters fix the ticking noise. Then live with the rattle sound for a few years and get a stoker short block.

2) Have the dealer install new rings and or pistons (I have heard of them doing either) And hope this fixes it. Then install my parts. Also hope it stays together at the track after they mess with it. But then if it dose lets go I will be screwed because I will have voided my waranty with my cam install.

Atleast right now I am fiarly sure its not going to come apart on me. It's just embarasing at times

What do you guys think?????
Old 09-04-2003, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Need advise on H/C & piston slap

I got the same problem.(got a blower to put on)
My 2000 SS did it, my 2001 TA does it and my buddies 2002 Z28 does it! And a about a dozen others I drove did it
The same way you described!
Maybe its harmless and they all do it, let me know what you come up with.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have knocking from pistons cold, it goes almost away hot. I have valvetrain noise but its consistant and pretty normal for my reduced preload setup and aggressive ramp rates on my cam. Piston noise is similar to race style forged pistons, that is why i am somewhat ok with it.Design and pin placement seems to be the reason for the racket, the way i see it, its better to be loud and fast than quiet and slow! LOL
Old 09-06-2003, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone else?
Old 09-06-2003, 10:45 AM
Launching!

If you want to have GM do it, you might take a look at this:
http://www.pistonslap.com

While there are obviously some pretty pissed people out there, that site does have some very good info as to the cause and possible effects of what that slapping does. Sounds like you've got a pretty good case of it.

If you're dealer will still do it, you might want to see if they actually have a fix, or if they're just going to stick the same size pistons in.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:30 AM
TECH Regular

Design and pin placement seems to be the reason for the racket, the way i see it, its better to be loud and fast than quiet and slow! LOL
Which pistons do you have ? Do you see 6.125 rods and pistons with the pin positioned closer to the top would help any ?
Old 09-16-2003, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Design and pin placement seems to be the reason for the racket, the way i see it, its better to be loud and fast than quiet and slow! LOL
Which pistons do you have ? Do you see 6.125 rods and pistons with the pin positioned closer to the top would help any ?
I have stock pistons but i dont see those mods as quieting things down. Max power has its drawbacks, GM has chosen power over quiet and slow. I bet 4.6 Mustangs are nice and quiet! LOL
Old 09-17-2003, 05:28 AM
11 Second Club

I have stock pistons but i dont see those mods as quieting things down. Max power has its drawbacks, GM has chosen power over quiet and slow. I bet 4.6 Mustangs are nice and quiet! LOL

my 2.2 sonoma was stone silent....
Old 09-17-2003, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just drive it. I have ran the **** out of my car with H/C all summer 12K miles and havent noticed much of a change in my piston slap. Mines pretty bad, real loud when cold and you can still hear it after it warms up. Just turn the radio up and get a louder exhaust and forget about it. If it blows up in a 1-2 years build a stroker engine or build a forged 347 and spary the **** out of it thats my plan.