Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you void your warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did you void your warranty?

You know, I've never ran into this problem cause I have a buddy that covers all my warranty issues, but I've heard through the grapevine that dealerships have been voiding warranties for issues not caused by their aftermarket parts.

I personally know that I've held back adding aftermarket parts to my vehicles with a voided warranty in the back of my head! Have you?

Last night I was at my buddy's house scanning through one of his latest magazine articles and started to read a section talking about voided warranties.

It discusses the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which I was unfamiliar with. The link below explains in about the same detail that a manufacturer can not void your warranty cause of an aftermarket part, unless that part was the cause of the warranty claim.

Thought I'd pass this information to calm people about performing mods as it made me feel better. From that, the article discusses that you can't expect to cover a motor that went out cause of the blower you slapped on...lol! If that would only be covered!!!

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
Old 10-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Other than a few Bolt ons...The Warranty should be Fine.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on how much of a dick the dealer is, and also how much you feel like spending (time and money) fighting your case.

Say you have headers, and by some other reason (say factory defective injectors) cause your engine to run lean and nade itself. Well, the dealer will blame the headers, and then you will have to go up the chain of command, then perhaps court to prove otherwise. Do you feel like dealing with that hassle?

I believe the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act as applied to cars only covers you in terms of using non stock items like oil brand, other branded parts meant to replace stock items.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grimes
I believe the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act as applied to cars only covers you in terms of using non stock items like oil brand, other branded parts meant to replace stock items.
Indeed...but I was looking more at simple bolt-ons. At the same time, you have to use common sense.

Just thought I'd pass along some information.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will tell you this much, you show up for a blown trans a few too many times or damaged rears, they will claim abuse. Also check to see if you have been driving the car hard. The dealer, if it wants can really be a dick.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a friend back in 1999 who had a 1998 6 speed formula (like BlackScreamingMachine said same senario), at around 22,000 miles with no mods but a flowmaster muffler (not even a k&n filter)they voided his warranty over transmissions. They put 2 transmissions in it within that time (mileage). They will void it and its not right but they do.

Last edited by Evans752; 10-08-2008 at 09:55 AM.