Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cam do I have? TSP chime in??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which cam do I have? TSP chime in??

I bought this cam used on here advertised as a Magic Stick 3 from TSP. After doing some research I am now questioning if its really an MS3 cam. I found an old thread from 05 where a guy was saying he bought his MS3 cam from Comp instead of TSP and it had the part number 25-MS3. As you can see mine has the same number. This guy went on to say it was actually a 238/242 .605/.610 on 113 lsa. Then later in the thread someone from TSP replied that its actually an MS2 cam. So now I am wondering what exactly do I have, an MS3 cam from TSP, an MS3 cam from Comp, or an MS2 cam???? Hmmm now I just found another post saying the MS2 was a 239/244, I'm so confused!

Last edited by animuL; 10-07-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks like the engraving every other MS3 camshaft Comp cuts for us has. IF you called and asked for an MS3 and your salesperson happened to know exactly what it was, it wouldn't be stamped 25-MS3. It would just have a normal serial number stamped on it. We ask Comp to engrave them like that for us.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so it sounds like this is an MS3 (not MS2) cut by Comp specifically for TSP right? I did have it verified that its on 113 lsa.

I have another question, I know you guys might not be willing to give out the duration numbers at .006, if thats the case can you just tell me where this cam falls on this chart: I know its silly but I'm just curious, comparing it to other local peoples cams.

10* - 40* towing
30* - 60* ordinary street
50* - 75* street performance
70* - 90* street/strip
85* - 100* race
95* - 115* Pro race

Here's how you calculate your advertised overlap:

Add your intake and exhaust advertised duration (duration at .050 will not give you the correct overlap)
Divide that answer by 4
Subtract the lobe seperation angle (LSA) from that answer
Multiply that answer by 2, and you have it!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, most all of our camshafts are cut by Comp Cams. Advertised duration on the MS3 is 286/291. Most people on this forum will refer more to the duration at .050" when talking about overlap and comparing camshafts though, FYI.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: Which cam do I have? TSP chime in??