Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear crank oil seal installation question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear crank oil seal installation question

i've seen threads mentioning using a tool to seat the rear crank oil seal correctly, but have a query. i have a short motor i'm building up on an engine stand, and have the covers (front and rear) off already. i knocked out both seals and have pressed the new ones back into the covers fairly easily using some lube and finger pressure only. obviously i need to seat the rear cover now around the crank, and ensure its centralised. do i really need a special tool to do so? i dont have easy access to one in the UK.

also i assume the tool is mainly to stop the inner seal lip folding back up on itself as it slides down the crank?

not 100% certain, front seal is easily sorted by seating it with the crank damper and a loose cover i believe, but rear seal is worrying me as its an engine out job again if it leaks.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've removed and reinstalled my rear cover 3 times with out the tool I just put alittle oil around the crank shaft and take my time getting the seal around the crank. If it starts to roll the seal I'll take a screw driver and gently pull it in to place. The key is taking your time.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheers for that