Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 l96

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 l96

Has any one else been doing anything with this new motor??..

Mine came from a 2010 GM Savana Van with 6L90E and only "2" Miles on it..

it is a 6.0L iron block with L92 heads..

I have plans to change out the factory intake for a LS3 intake. The stock MAP sensor fit fine on the LS3 intake, The stock DBW TB fit nicely as well and looks better (more compacted). I got shorted the MAF sensor and filter on the purchase so I'm looking for that now.

Mainly just trying to see if anyone else has been doing anything with it or not..

Kevin
Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't that engine called an LY6??
Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

There has been some back and forth on that as well.. it is the same for the most part, but the LY6 didn't come with the L92 heads that I know of and the L96 is E85 ready in stock form, not to mention the VVT.. but no DOD..

I was told that the L96 replaced the LY6 for 2010.. Now you know why I'm diging around.

Here is a link to another thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...w-l96-rpo.html
a guy posted that info.. but the thread kinda died.

Last edited by LS1MonteSS; 10-08-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: new info
Old 10-08-2010, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LY6 does have L92s. Don't take it as gospel, but CHP did an article on LQ4/9/LY6 motors a while back. I got a buddy putting an L96 in his '92 camaro, as a matter of fact. He's going the LS3 intake route as well, and most likely keeping the VVT.

From what I've found, the only difference between the LY6 and L96 is the E85 option for the latter. GM had to change the RPO since it's technically a different motor (it's all in the tune I'm guessing )

edit: the link provided in that thread you referenced has just about all the info you need for the motors. if you click the 'S' to download the story on the LY6 or L96, you get a full description, which states that the LY6 uses offset rockers and larger valves than other vortec v8 heads, which is a dead giveaway for L92s.

Last edited by hookemdevils22; 10-08-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

My motor and 6L90E is going into a 70 MC.. I choose to go the LS3 intake rought do to all the things I read on the L92 heads and the L76 intake (don't quote that..LOL) That intake and head combo was making good HP numbers.. And at the time Gm was selling a complete L76 intake for right at $500.. But that dried up and I read more that the L76 was the Ausy version of the LS3 and that the LS3 intake is a perfect match for the L92 heads..

Good article by the way.. I like the Alum motors, but the iron blocks are more rebuildable..

I must be a bone head I don't see a 'S' to click to download the story on the LY6 and L96.

*added* I'm using BRP Hotrods LS Motormounts and trany crossmember..

Last edited by LS1MonteSS; 10-08-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-08-2010, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here's the GM website in that other thread (i'll just post here to save a click). the 11th column along the top of the table says 'story'. find your RPO in the 4th column and click the corresponding 'S' to download a word doc with some info on that particular engine (or trans, in the 16th column). Just some added info.

i put an LS3 intake on my LQ4 with L92s... there's a good thread that -TheBandit- started with some info on switching to an LS3 intake. it will help you if you plan to use the stock accessories (and even if you don't).
Old 10-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Dude, That is crazy.. I downloaded that like a month ago with intentions of going back to read it and forgot.. Thanks for reminding me..

I do plan to use the stock accessories the ALT bracket is just in the way of the LS3 Intake... I might have found a new bracket on eBay, but I have to get more info on it..

I'll check out the thread from -TheBandit- here in just a little while...

As a testament to how intertwined these new system are on these new motors..
Last weekend I was watching Extreme 4X4 on Spike TV and they had swapped out the ALT during the mock up phase to one that didn't kick on till it was higher into the rpm range. Just the ALT mind you and they couldn't tune the motor for nothing.. Come to find out.. the ECU couldn't find the voltage it needed from idle and was trying to make all these changes and compensate for the missing voltage. Basically putting the motor in "limp" mode so it could be driven to a shop for repairs... Crazy I tell you! Now if it would just make me my saturday morning coffee that would be awesome!!

Kevin

Quick Reply: 2010 l96