Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd ball water pump idea-opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Odd ball water pump idea-opinions?

Project- LS4 in a rear engine Corvair. As you can see in the attached pic the LS4 has a real odd ball serpentine setup. All I need is the alternator. The current alternator mounting will create lots of deck lid issues. The intake and water pump filler already stick up, but the alternator is really up there.

My idea is to remount the alt down low where the AC compressor was. Then run an electric water pump, only using the housing to route the coolant. I've seen electric WP setups, and the hoses, Y's, reservoirs, etc are nuts. This saves me having to refabricate all kinds of crap to run the serpentine belt. I'm assuming I would just have to make a plate to cover where the old actual pump is?

Using a standard short (Corvette?) WP is out of the question....just no room.

Is there something I'm missing as for the mechanical pump cycling before the thermorstat? Hot spots until the electric pump turns on? Electric sensor location on the block? For clarification, I'm talking about an inline Miezre pump. Ideally I would mount it up front where the radiator is.

Oh, and if you're anti electric pumps, I've seen enough people have positive results with the Miezre units, so don't bother preaching.
Thankyou.
Attached Thumbnails Odd ball water pump idea-opinions?-ls4-5.3l-v8-impala-ss.jpg   Odd ball water pump idea-opinions?-19-jun-5-copy.jpg   Odd ball water pump idea-opinions?-19-jun1-copy.jpg  
Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

electric pump runs 100% of the time just like mechanical.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

What if I put a temp switch in, to a relay? Then it wouldn't run all the time. Of course this would only apply during warmup. Maybe a 180 temp switch and a 190 thermostat? Offhand not sure what LSx's are supposed to run at.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

you can do that, but you would be the only one and it would be the wrong way

It will warm up fine with it running all the time, just like all these other ls motors warm up find with the stock w/p running all the time.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Without seeing the trunk lid, I'd be tempted to remove the license plate recess making the tail panel flat, which might allow for the C-5 drive parts...
Old 06-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

S10- that is being done, but there isn't room for the crank pulley for that system. The rear crossmember is already notched for the current crank pulley.

Quick Reply: Odd ball water pump idea-opinions?