Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Newbie Intake Gasket/Throttle Body Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Newbie Intake Gasket/Throttle Body Questions

So, I have an LSX 454 crate engine and I am going to be putting on the stock GM intake that comes in their relocation kit. Needless to say, there are no "instructions" provided. So, my main engine experience is pretty out-of-date, small block Chevy stuff, where the "tricks-of-the-trade" when installing an intake involved using silicon seal around the intake ports but especially at the corners where the heads met the block.... Of course, this was mainly because there were water passages in the intake, which the LS Gen IV doesn't have. In fact, it doesn't use gaskets, per se, but rubber seals or "O-rings" around the intake ports, I believe?

So, finally, my questions:

1. are there any tricks involved in attaching an intake to a Gen IV LS? Do the seals/o-rings need a light coat of oil or silicon or anything? Or do they just pop on dry?

2. What are the tubes for (covered in yellow and red dust covers in the attached picture) that are part of the throttle body? Is that for coolant or are those vacuum/PCV fittings? I actually just noticed them recently, so I haven't exhausted all of the search resources at my disposal yet, but I figure if someone is helping me by taking a crack at #1, they are probably suited to help answer #2 as well... thanks a lot.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails LS Newbie Intake Gasket/Throttle Body Questions-img_0559.jpg  
Old 09-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Teching In

OK, I know that they are supremely stupid questions, but I thought that someone would take pity on me by now.... Pity bump.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Inlet manifold is right to bolt down now, no need to use anything on the gaskets as they are "O" rings that work best when dry.

The two fittings are vacuum points.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Awesome, thank you very much! Important info, good to know. Appreciate the response.

Quick Reply: LS Newbie Intake Gasket/Throttle Body Questions