Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads: Intake vs Exhaust Flow question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads: Intake vs Exhaust Flow question

Need some thoughtful opinions...

Please consider these points...
1) I wish to find the maximum performing used LS2 heads for my stock displacement LS2 with a 6 spd. It is a street car with a 7000rpm redline.
2) I am not going to use a high lift camshaft - probably .62 max, duration and the LSA tbd...
3) With all other supporting mods in place and the cam specs tbd by the new cylinder heads..
4) I cannot go bigger then the 1 3/4" primaries on my custom headers, but I have a very high flowing intake set-up ...

My main question is this....
What head flow characteristics or which aftermarket heads or head porting service in particular should I lean towards?

i.e.: Given whatever choices come up in the used offerings...should I look for heads that offer better mid lift flow on the exhaust port relative to others and ignore high lift peak flow characteristics...or???

Trev
Old 12-07-2012, 04:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing in the flow range should be ignored. Look for a set of used 243's, and send them to TEA for porting. Tell them your entire setup and explain the exhaust stipulations, and they will port the heads to your specs and custom grind you a cam to perfectly match.

Don't be afraid to call them before hand and feel them out. They know their **** and will get you where you need to be.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by topfuelman
Need some thoughtful opinions...

Please consider these points...
1) I wish to find the maximum performing used LS2 heads for my stock displacement LS2 with a 6 spd. It is a street car with a 7000rpm redline.
2) I am not going to use a high lift camshaft - probably .62 max, duration and the LSA tbd...
3) With all other supporting mods in place and the cam specs tbd by the new cylinder heads..
4) I cannot go bigger then the 1 3/4" primaries on my custom headers, but I have a very high flowing intake set-up ...

My main question is this....
What head flow characteristics or which aftermarket heads or head porting service in particular should I lean towards?

i.e.: Given whatever choices come up in the used offerings...should I look for heads that offer better mid lift flow on the exhaust port relative to others and ignore high lift peak flow characteristics...or???

Trev
If you are truly looking for maximum performance, I would lean towards a hand ported set of heads. The reason is that CNC'd heads are generally based off a port someone came up with and chances are, the size and shape of that port was not designed with your particular combination in mind. A hand ported set of heads are tailored for your combo, displacement, and operating range. If your constrained to rules based off a class of racing, the cylinder head porter may even have experience with that class and have some tricks that he can apply while still being within the rules.

Quick Reply: Heads: Intake vs Exhaust Flow question