Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header studs....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Header studs....?

Hey guys looking into these, has anyone tried them?
ARP is like $135.00..!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-Ls6-Ls3-...21047842841%26
Old 03-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you contact the seller and ask what grade stainless steel they are? I know they're supposed to be a certain grade.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen them on a couple customers car in the shop and they are holding up fine.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those aren't really header studs...they're long set screws and nuts. A proper stud has a small shoulder on it where the threads stop, this keeps the stud from cranking further into the threads where they're not really cut for/intended to have a fastener in them (just where the tap has to be to finish making the full diameter thread you're actually using)...I'd be nervous that the nut could bind up on the thread on the way in, and you'd find yourself torquing the stud into the head instead of clamping the header flange to the head. It might never happen, it might happen to you instantly resulting in a damaged head. Sometimes piece of mind makes it worth it...which would dictate regular bolts, or ARP studs (or something similar) with the shoulder in the right spot.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Those aren't really header studs...they're long set screws and nuts. A proper stud has a small shoulder on it where the threads stop, this keeps the stud from cranking further into the threads where they're not really cut for/intended to have a fastener in them (just where the tap has to be to finish making the full diameter thread you're actually using)...I'd be nervous that the nut could bind up on the thread on the way in, and you'd find yourself torquing the stud into the head instead of clamping the header flange to the head. It might never happen, it might happen to you instantly resulting in a damaged head. Sometimes piece of mind makes it worth it...which would dictate regular bolts, or ARP studs (or something similar) with the shoulder in the right spot.
Thanks Mike, I've already gone with your advice on the ARP's. the eBay ones just seem like a cheap way out, and considering the money I've dropped on this thing already, the last thing I want to do is cut a corner or take the cheap way out.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

I'm using those from the same seller out here in Vegas. They work just fine.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The ARP Headers Studs work perfect and stay tight.

Quick Reply: Header studs....?