Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam swap gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam swap gone bad

I started out Saturday to swap cams in my car and was making good progress when the balancer stopped me dead. We broke two pullers before I called it a day. Sunday morning I went back at it after letting everything soak in penetrating oil and I finally got it to break loose and it sounded like a gun shot when it let go. Then came the camshaft cover plate that we could not get off. We broke three T-40 tors bits before we got all but one of the bolts out. I guess the engine builder figured they should be thread locked with JB Weld. The last bolt was a pain for about an hour and I finally welded a nut to it and took it out with a wrench. Did I fail to mention that the engine did not have a timing chain guide/tensioner? So after all this I figure I have paid for my sins and the engine should come together quick. We pull the old camshaft and I inspect it before we proceed, yep you guessed it the cam had a damaged lobe. So off with the cylinder heads and now I have a short block sitting in my car. Like the saying goes if you want it done right you need to do it yourself.

Here are some pics.*

Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn that sucks man. Unfortunately a lot of us go through that. Are your cam bearrings damaged?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, who built it?

Those Torx always seem to want to strip out. They only torque to 11ft-lbs, but I bet people still go to 18ft-lbs like the regular 8mm hex head bolts on the older cam retainer plates.

What cam was in there that was damaged?

Quick Reply: Cam swap gone bad