Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2: Help with alternator swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2: Help with alternator swap

I'm putting an '06 GTO LS2 into a '74 Nova. I'm using the Hooker mounts made specifically for 3rd Gen Nova's and 1st Gen Camaros. My frame is notched to get proper clearance, but Hooker says to swap the alternator for an "F-body" one. After mocking up everything, I see that they are right - I need a smaller diameter alternator even with the frame notch.

My question is what alternator to use? I mean, "F-body" is kind of vague. What year? What part number? Is there a smaller diameter alternator whose pulley will line up with the stock LS2 accessories?

Lots of advice needed, and if you have a used alternator for sale that fits the bill - I'm interested.

Here is a photo of the stock alternator in relation to the motor mounts, and a picture of the frame notch. I need at to knock off at least an inch to make this work...

Old 05-09-2014, 06:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With no responses, I'll answer my own question with information I got from another site. The quote below is from toddoky, who posted the answer on stevesnovasite...

"Rquad, the F-body alternator referenced in the Hooker instructions is from any 1998-2002 4th-gen F-body Camaro/Firebird with an LS1 engine. The front alternator bracket you have on your GTO LS2 set-up is the same as what is used on the 4th-gen F-bodies, so the alternator will bolt right in and allow you to use the rear alternator bracket from the F-body as well that bolts to the hole in the block above the alternator instead of behind the mount as yours does now. You can also install a truck alternator in your bracket, but in won't have the provision for attaching the rear bracket like the F-body alternator does.
The last caveat to the situation is the fact that the electrical plugs on the GTO and F-body alternators are different and so is the way each are wired and controlled by the ECU's of both cars. You either have to configure your alternator to fit the notch you currently have, or do what I would do and modify the subframe to fit your current alternator as required. Of course that requires fabrication and is not an option for some. For me, spending two hours to execute the subframe modification is far less troublesome than switching out the alternator and adapting the harness. If you keep your current alternator, you can fabricate a rear bracket that attaches to the upper hole in the block like the F-body rear bracket does as part of your efforts. Keep in mind that you are installing low-mounted accessories into a vehicle that was not designed to use them; the car was designed to use the top-mounted accessories that it was equipped with from the factory only."

So now I'm looking for info on how to do the alternator wiring mod.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Order an alternator plug and connect the only wire it will have to the pcm, using the wire that is in the harness.

Quick Reply: LS2: Help with alternator swap