Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam Composite Intake Manifold For LS3 Based Engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Mine is a stock LS6 short block, Mast small bore ls3 heads, a tight lash solid roller, T&D rockers specific to these heads, and THIS intake manifold.

Can't wait!!
Sounds like a real nice motor in the making. Do you have it together and if so any valve cover issues with the T&D rockers?
Old 04-02-2015, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called them yesterday, they said they were trying another intake runner iteration, sounded like they would be testing it soon. And then ~60 days until they go on sale, assuming they are happy with the test.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

1989GTA
Spoke with Patrick yesterday, he said there was room for a 2" tall
valve cover, at most one would need to slide the coil pack down
One bolt towards the fender. I am really Stoked!
Old 04-03-2015, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
1989GTA
Spoke with Patrick yesterday, he said there was room for a 2" tall
valve cover, at most one would need to slide the coil pack down
One bolt towards the fender. I am really Stoked!
That is very good news. Forward with the project we go.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I hope this VRX does better than the Airforce vs Fast102 results posted on Corvette Forum. For the F-body with an LS3, what about the throttle/cruise bracket provisions, MAP sensor location, fuel rails, etc... what else do we need to integrate it? Do you need a 102 TB, or will a 4-bolt 92 mate just fine?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:32 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

People need to understand that an intake manifold can't magically make extra horsepower, it can only allow the heads to get the maximum air to the cylinder that they can flow. So if the heads only flow xxx cfm, and the cam is sized right, then if the intake manifold can supply the heads with enough air, then you won't see much of a gain going over to a different, better manifold.

Buuuut, add some cubes, better flowing heads, bigger cam, or boost, and that's when a better manifold will shine. People were upset that the MSD was 'only' 10hp better than the FAST 102, but that means it's the best manifold available currently. Throw 15-20 psi of boost at it, and watch that number go up substantially.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
People need to understand that an intake manifold can't magically make extra horsepower, it can only allow the heads to get the maximum air to the cylinder that they can flow. So if the heads only flow xxx cfm, and the cam is sized right, then if the intake manifold can supply the heads with enough air, then you won't see much of a gain going over to a different, better manifold.

Buuuut, add some cubes, better flowing heads, bigger cam, or boost, and that's when a better manifold will shine. People were upset that the MSD was 'only' 10hp better than the FAST 102, but that means it's the best manifold available currently. Throw 15-20 psi of boost at it, and watch that number go up substantially.
This is so true and its something people often overlook. If you have stock to mildly ported heads you wont gain much at all if anything going to a larger intake. A fast easily outflows stock 243 heads let alone stock 241's so going to a larger intake on something like that wont gain much of anything.

Case in point on the msd it gained 8hp over the fast over 6k, and even that is up for debate because of some of the fueling differences in the test. But even barring that it took a WCCH cnc'd headed 23x/25x ls7 to even see 8 hp. If people think they are going to get that on a stock cube ls1 with a cam and mild head they're in for a real surprise. If you have an engine like that either a fast or MSD is the best choice.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Teching In

The VRX for the LS-7 has been testing since Dec. We can assure you of substantial gains in Both Torque and power over what you have seen from the Other Polymer manifolds. We have put the LS-7 up against the Carbon XR , OZMO , Kinsler,Holley and Fast . The VRX has dominated every test to date by strong margins in both Torque and Power production.
WE are testing on everything from a stock engines, to wild 7,500 RPM + engines. It has taken a substantial amount of time to bring together so many different engine combinations for this type of testing.
VR is taking the time to dial in the runner and plenum combinations correctly to ensure maximum Torque and HP throughout the power curve, not just a peak RPM HP number that is of little use.
The VRX for the LS-7 “IS” coming to production, along with a few other versions, anything else you hear or read is false propaganda to keep you buying parts that produce very little gain.
You will see independent test results once all of our dyno testing has been completed and all Patent protection for various components has been filed.
We are still set for early summer for the LS-7
VR Tech
Old 04-08-2015, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

awesome guys do you all have a date for cathedral versions yet or is it still "in the works" so to speak?
Old 04-08-2015, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's gotta be more LS3's in the world than LS7's so is the LS7 first because it's getting the best results or....?
Old 04-08-2015, 02:02 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I've scratched my head of why you would go after the ls7 market first considering how small that market is compared to the ls3 and cathedral port, but I'm not in the industry.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

I've scratched my head of why you would go after the ls7 market first considering how small that market is compared to the ls3 and cathedral port, but I'm not in the industry.

I guess from a marketing perspective it will be easier to sell for them after it will be establish there is a factual gain...and that will be easier to demonstrate with most of the LS7 versus son many other LS less in need of an "Intake Vacuum Killer" ...

Christian
Old 04-08-2015, 04:11 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I disagree.

What if the intake actually produced "Helmholtz Resonance"?

Resonance Tuning... the air pressure in the combustion chamber before the compression stroke is greater than the atmospheric pressure... an intake system that operates at a volumetric efficiency above 100%.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

I disagree.

Resonance Tuning... the air pressure in the combustion chamber before the compression stroke is greater than the atmospheric pressure... an intake system that operates at a volumetric efficiency above 100%.

Very well known in open wheel racing indeed...
Do you know if the VRX is at this level of development already?

Christian
Old 04-08-2015, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by miami993c297

Christian
I am sure that it is. That is why they are playing with the runner lengths and of course cross sectional areas/taper. From what I have seen it looks like they are shooting to get the best effect of the 3rd harmonic. The inlet radius to the runner will also have a large effect and they have been playing with that.

Great news from Vararam. Looks like around July 1 if not a little sooner. That will fit right in with my cash flow. Going for the LS3 version myself.

These are exciting times along with the LLSR from Cam Motion. Heck we could be talking 50-60rwhp or more from the both of them.

Last edited by 1989GTA; 04-08-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:12 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I disagree.

Originally Posted by miami993c297

Christian
Point taken. After I posted I did think about the 'ram air effect' but figured I'd bite the bullet from anyone who mentioned it. Point being, that for an intake manifold to truly shine, the entire air tract from filter to tip needs to be addressed. I just think people are expecting to see gains like a cam swap generates, which isn't realistic.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:38 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Sounds like a real nice motor in the making. Do you have it together and if so any valve cover issues with the T&D rockers?
I'll find out when they get in. At most I'd need thicker gaskets and lose the baffles. I'd MUCH prefer to just have a spacer welded to the valve cover though and keep the baffles in place. I'll play around with it when they come in.

Point taken. After I posted I did think about the 'ram air effect' but figured I'd bite the bullet from anyone who mentioned it. Point being, that for an intake manifold to truly shine, the entire air tract from filter to tip needs to be addressed. I just think people are expecting to see gains like a cam swap generates, which isn't realistic.
I'm just saying what Patrick has stated... What if it did give similar gains?
Old 04-09-2015, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good information in here, and nice of someone from Vararam to come in and enlighten everyone. Looks like the Vararam guys paid attention in their business and marketing classes, unlike another company that is producing aftermarket polymer intakes.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree! I think in NA 4th gen f-body applications the air cleaner has to be addressed. A poor fitting air lid that's bigger is still just a bandaid fix bottle-neck. It would be nice if someone would offer a redesigned base and lid that worked and was OEM quality.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

New intake manifold shootout posted, Vararam wasn't included though Edit: Crap, these are only cathedral ports.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-...ifolds-tested/

Last edited by JimMueller; 08-02-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Vararam Composite Intake Manifold For LS3 Based Engines