Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

About to buy a new motor... talk me down from the ledge

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy a new motor... talk me down from the ledge

I have recently bought a 2005 GTO with a blown engine. The car has 18k miles on it, lowered, ATI D1SC Supercharger, 60# injectors, 255LPH fuel pump, kooks 1 1/7 long tube headers, kooks 3 mid pipes, magnaflow exhaust, built trans, and a Yank 3200 stall. Long story short, the only thing in the engine that could still be used is the 243 ZO6 heads (after taking to a machinist to fix), lifters and springs. The intake could be used after a really, really good cleaning, there is small flakes of metal everywhere. I will need a new alternator and gto oil pan (a rod took both of these out).

With that said... I have done some research on different shops that specialize in LS engines and priced out some small blocks, cams, push rods, lifters, timing chains, bolts and gaskets. The cost seems to be between 4k-6k shipped for a LS2 364cid Iron to and LS3 418cid. And that is if I use the heads and intake, that I am not feeling comfortable about. I could get a built long block, but I think that might be a bit more than I want to spend.

My current thinking is to buy a LS376/480 GM crate engine for $6500 and sell the supercharger... I know... I know... not a popular idea around here. But this car will be 98% daily driver and 2% fun at the track car (or highway ). I know I will have to get an intake, tune, a Lingenfelter 58x to 24x crank sensor converter and plug one of the oil dip stick holes, other than that anything else? Will I have any issues with the current mods on the car? Any rough estimates on horse power? I am hoping for 450+
Old 04-06-2009, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Don't the L92 heads use the same exhaust ports ? Will the supercharger brackets bolt to the crate engine ? The car is already set for the blower; use the crate engine, make the small changes needed and retune.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much can you afford to spend ?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPDMETL
Don't the L92 heads use the same exhaust ports ? Will the supercharger brackets bolt to the crate engine ? The car is already set for the blower; use the crate engine, make the small changes needed and retune.
That is my understanding, that they have the same exhaust ports... I don't see why the supercharger wouldn't bolt up, and I am fighting with myselft on that one now, wether to keep it or sale it. How well will the LS3 block handle the extra horse power? Although, the tune that is in the car now, I don't trust with a grain of salt because I didn't do the modifications and it most likely was what caused it to blow up in the first place. I just got my HP Tuner in the mail today so, I will start figuring that aspect out. I just need to figure out what wide band to get for it now.

Originally Posted by wildta
How much can you afford to spend ?
I was hoping I could only spend about 6k for everything, forged small block, oil pan, alternator, etc... I will be around 8k now, if I don't sale the super charger. The one plus though by going with the crate engine is the 2 year warranty.

Last edited by bsman; 04-07-2009 at 02:32 AM. Reason: gram-ur
Old 04-07-2009, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

You might want to check the warranty vs the blower. If you have it tuned immediately after firing it up there should be no problems-just find someone who tunes pressurized cars regularly
Old 04-07-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i would go to one of the sponsors here on the right and talk to one of them like texas speed, vengence, epp, ect... they would be able to build you a really nice setup. But for the engine i would build an iron lq4 based motor. the stock block and crank are good for over 1000rwhp and a used shortblock can be found for around $500. then heads and intake are up to you and your budget but a nice ported l92 l76 combo will be hard to beat for the price. or even a stock l92 l76 combo will be great.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

You can get a set of L92 heads and intake for pretty cheap.. And it does make for a pretty cheap and good engine combo.. Good luck man..

Or you can always do like I am doing. Go to the junk yard and buy a used short block for $300.00. Tear it apart, clean it up and get it sonic checked. Then order a rotating assembly and build the short block yourself.. You can do all of this for around $2500.00-$3500.00 or if you like maybe we could work something out if you want to order the rotating assembly from me.. I may even have a barley used set of 241 cast heads laying around I could throw in the deal.. PM me if interested

Last edited by odarabla; 04-07-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

JUMP...go big!

Quick Reply: About to buy a new motor... talk me down from the ledge