Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

FI LSX 454 not very common ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jermzz
You just need a tall deck LSX. NRE makes a TT 454 that does 2500hp. on high boost.
Yeah, that NRE guy is the king. $36,000 for a 1,650 hp daily driver street engine with a warranty. WOW.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's your money do what you want with it. if you're comfortable putting a huge N2O hit or a lot of boost on that little piston that comes so close to the bottom of the clyinder, with no meat between cylinders...be my guest.

yeah it'll work. yeah it'll be fast. yeah...you'll rebuild it every other week too. why would you go that big with a FI motor? you people really think you need 454 cubic inches? a 427 or 434 just wouldn't cut it? there's a HELL of a lot more to it and making big displacement with big heads and big cams. talk to any I N T E L L I G E N T builder, and they will steer your away from a $15K mistake FASTER than you think your car would go with that setup

...but it's just money. put up or shut up
Old 05-26-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
It's your money do what you want with it. if you're comfortable putting a huge N2O hit or a lot of boost on that little piston that comes so close to the bottom of the clyinder, with no meat between cylinders...be my guest.

yeah it'll work. yeah it'll be fast. yeah...you'll rebuild it every other week too. why would you go that big with a FI motor? you people really think you need 454 cubic inches? a 427 or 434 just wouldn't cut it? there's a HELL of a lot more to it and making big displacement with big heads and big cams. talk to any I N T E L L I G E N T builder, and they will steer your away from a $15K mistake FASTER than you think your car would go with that setup

...but it's just money. put up or shut up
When I had bryan build my motor, I was debating between a 440 and a 454. Wanting to spray atleast a 250. I was aware of the ring pack problem but Bryan assured me that the motor would be fine. Also talked to another guy who was already running the same setup with multiple bottles through the motor and not a single issue.

Im not disputing that there could be a problem, but how can you argue with good results? People are so scared to do things that "wont work" when other people do them all the time with great results.

maybe it's hit or miss, but hey. people have motors that let go all the time. Nobody ever said a 600+ hp motor was a good investment
Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

^ very true, it's all money wasted in the name of "smiles per gallon." My 454 is never going to see spray or boost...100-125 shot MAYBE if that's what it takes to get the ET i'm after, but that's the most i would ever risk. if i wanted to go faster, i'd do another tear-down, sell the shortblock, and start over with a fresh block with a smaller bore/stroke then pile on the boost.

if, IF, it were a purpose-built race car that never saw street duty and i could afford parts every weekend..then yeah i might hit it a little harder, but that's not the case. My build has broke me as is and it's quite a ways from finished yet. if it breaks catastrophically, it'll be sold and that will be the end of it.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

When customers come to us looking to run power adders with large cubic inch engines I always try to steer them towards a 4.0" stroke or shorter combination. This is for the obvious benefits in piston strength and stability. However when building an engine such as a LSX 454 it is possible to build a piston that is capable of handling a 300 shot of nitrous. The custom Wiseco 454" flat top parts that we have made, have .260" of material above the top ring land & .082" from the intake pocket to land. This is adequate thickness for a 300 shot of gas. As always the proper tune is crucial.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cant the GMPP LSX tall deck blocks be built up to like 511 cubes or something?? Now thats some serious displacement for a street engine.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:54 PM

I saw a build up of a 454 LSX in Hot Rod or something by World I think. They said there is not enough cylinder spacing to keep the heads sealed with forced induction or too big a shot of NOS. There is only .250" left if I recall correctly between the cylinders. They went with high compression, head studs, and Cometic gaskets. You would have to keep a forced induction set-up mild to do it. Might as well go smaller bore and higher boost like the ricers do...
Old 05-27-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

People are so stupid.

When i was looking at what size to go with, i wanted to go with a 454, I asked about nitrous, one person said no, okay.

No nitrous. maybe one day ill have money to experiment with some nitrous, when i can afford to rebuild my entire motor.

Thats not now.

I just dont understand why you would do any chancing.

"Hopefully itll work"<<< Never a good idea

:End Rant:
Old 05-28-2009, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

just something magical about that 454 number. but I think the 427 reminds me of bigger power than the 454 in past motors. Doubt I would ever take a chance with a 15-20k motor.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:01 PM
FormerVendor

When you are talking about big cubic inch engine, the first thing people think is that there isn't anyway that it's going to be reliable right, because you have to have a large stroke and a large bore. The beauty of our 500 CI ERL Superdeck II short block is that even with a 4.500 stroke crankshaft and a 4.200 bore in an LS2 block it remains extremely reliable. 99blancoSS is correct when he was saying that you can build big cubic inch engine but the question is how long do you want it to last?
One of the things that makes our design unique is our sleeve length and our extended deck height. Those 2 things combined are wonderful for reliability. Here is a picture of the underneath side of one of our 500 CI Superdeck II blocks and you can see that only an 1/8 of an inch of the piston skirt comes out of the bottom of our sleeves.

We do have a FI 482 CI ERL Superdeck II block that was mentioned earlier and everything is the same except the bore size(4.125) and rod length.(6.600) The 4.125 bore has more meat between the sleeves so it allows you to run big boost and nitrous through it. The 500 CI has had 250 shot thrown at it plenty of times as well with zero issues. Both of these short blocks are very reasonable in my opinion starting at 9,900.00 for the fully assembled short block. Just talk to the guys down at S.A.M. about how reliable our 500 CI is. They've had there's since 2006 and have beat on it ever since.

Quick Reply: FI LSX 454 not very common ????