Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Double Roller and Damper fitment problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Double Roller and Damper fitment problems

Hey gang, I am just starting to put my engine together after having all the pieces sitting for a couple of years. A real quick synopsis, LS2, stock crank, double roller chain and stock ported pump. I went to install the balancer this weekend and it didn't want to seat all the way flush with the snout of the crank (probably an 1/8 of an inch from going all the way on). It looked a little odd so I pulled the balancer back off, and upon further review it looks like what is happening is that the spacers for the oil pump is causing the entire pump assembly and the gerotor to sit roughly the same 1/8 inch off the front of the bottom timing chain oil pump drive and preventing the damper from seating up against it. Am I the first person that this has happened to? I can probably address this with grinder and a lot of patience (I will need to remove an 1/8 of an inch off the front of the drive lugs on the gerotor). I would prefer not to just throw away $130 worth of timing chain if I can avoid it.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your explaination is a little hard to follow, but are you saying the hub of the damper is hitting the chain before it gets to the crank sprocket thus preventing it from going fully home. That shouldn't happen. The crank snout is recessed inside of the damper hub when the damper is seated fully home. There is a spec for the amount of recess which you can find in Helm, Mitchell or Alldata or by doing a SEARCH on this site. The damper should move until the hub contacts the sprocket and then the force to turn the pusher tool(or crank bolt) goes thru the roof. That's when you know it's time to stop turning the tool. It ain't goin no further. You may be misinterpreting what is happening when the pulley is actually stopping where it is supposed to stop.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

What I am saying is that the damper bottoms out on the oil pump gerotor lugs before it seats fully against the lower crankshaft sprocket. If the oil pump wasn't spaced out to clear double roller the gerotor would be flush with the face of the lower sprocket drive lugs. Without the gerotor installed in the oil pump the balancer fully seats like it should up against the lower sprocket. It looks like I have two options: 1. Remove roughly an 1/8 of an inch off the drive lugs on the oil pump gerotor that protrude past the end of the sprocket, or 2. Machine an 1/8 of an inch off the back of the damper. I was more wondering if I was the first person to ever see this. It seems like double rollers were/are somewhat common.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

The old style asp pullies would do this as well. Then they changed the design. Imo you should just take the pully to a machine shop and have it milled to the specs you need.

Quick Reply: Double Roller and Damper fitment problems