Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Intake centerline Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake centerline Question

Degreeing my cam, and am coming up with a 113 intake centerline, and the cam card says 109.. What is the best way to change that, or is it a big deal??
Should I degree in a different way? I have an adjustable notched timing gear..

its a 224 / 234 113 lsa cam with .600 lift in an l92...

Any ideas?
thanks

Also..

Measured endplay and the cam does not move that much at all.. The timing gear has the bearing on the backside and the rotation of the engine seems smooth.. Should I have more endplay, Dont want to cook the engine...
Old 06-12-2009, 05:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is an end play clearance in the service manual. As for the cam, the cam card should have a cam position at 0.050" after opening and 0.050" before closing. If you rotate the motor with the dial indicator at zero (valve closed) until you see the dial indicator start to move then stop when you reach 0.050" of lift. Check the degree wheel. Now rotate through so the dial indicator goes to full open and then is closing. Stop at the same point (0.050") before the valve is fully closed. Check the degree wheel. These values should match the cam card. This is a good method of double checking the intake centerline method before making a change. If this verifies the ICL method (you ICL is off), then you need to remove the timing set and adjust accordingly. That's one reason I like the Hex-adjust, you can make changes without breaking down the degree wheel setup.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Teching In

thanks for the reply.. If I do come up with too tight of endplay, how do i loosen it up?, is it in the cam grind? Its a comp cam, it should be right I am sure.. Was thinking that because of the bearing in the timing set the clearance might be able to be tighter
Old 06-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Teching In

ok.. so I measured the intake opening and closing numbers.. Looks like intake is at .050 at 0 degrees and closes at 45 degrees.. cam card says should be 3 and 41 .. Really confused now.. If the icl is 113 and should be a 109 do I advance the cam.. Do these numbers make sense to anyone? I have a adjustable timing chain with the notches on the crank gear.. The icl seems like it says it needs to be advanced 4 degrees.. Is that what the timing events from above show?

Quick Reply: Intake centerline Question