Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Race LSX block.. lifter, timing chain, rocker, and valley cover questions??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Race LSX block.. lifter, timing chain, rocker, and valley cover questions??

I was wondering for an all out street/strip 1000+rwhp 427 LSX bowtie block build, should I go solid roller or hydraulic roller lifters? This is a boosted/nitrous application and I want max reliability, power, and RPMs. What are the best brand lifters to get?

My LSX block did not come with a valley cover or a front cover (is it supposed to?) so I was wondering what was the best valley cover to use? Front cover?

Also what is the best double roller timing chain to use for this application? I heard N Motion was a good one to use. What about Cloyes Hex-A-Just double roller 9-3159A? I am using the Melling 10296 oil pump that was clearanced to fit a double roller.

What are my options as far as rockers go? I will be using an ETP 265cc LS7 style head with six bolts.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by wforty94; 06-24-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they only come with what is needed. the valley and front covers are from any other LS engine. front cover for a double roller would prob be LS2 style to fit the best. then the chains are both very good. the hex adjust will work very well because you dont have to unbolt the oil pump and take the bottom gear off just to degree the cam. we have all of that on hand and ready to go it you need it.

solid roller or hyd is completely up to you. you will prob get ideas from both sides on that.

we have the melling pumps here both in regular and coated versions.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by wforty94
I was wondering for an all out street/strip 1000+rwhp 427 LSX bowtie block build, should I go solid roller or hydraulic roller lifters? This is a boosted/nitrous application and I want max reliability, power, and RPMs. What are the best brand lifters to get?

My LSX block did not come with a valley cover or a front cover (is it supposed to?) so I was wondering what was the best valley cover to use? Front cover?

Also what is the best double roller timing chain to use for this application? I heard N Motion was a good one to use. What about Cloyes Hex-A-Just double roller 9-3159A? I am using the Melling 10296 oil pump that was clearanced to fit a double roller.

What are my options as far as rockers go? I will be using an ETP 265cc LS7 style head with six bolts.

Thanks in advance.
Gonna have to start searching (like I did) and find all teh covers. You can get front cover for @ $25-$50, Valley cover for @ $20-$40, and rear cover for @ $10-$30 (all used) Dont forget teh barbell, plugs, cam plate, dowel pins, etc...I got a manley double roller, and it is a nice piece. Morel probaly makes the best lifter for the LS series motors (solid or hydraulic) Rockers....T&D, Jesel, Yella, Comp, etc...

I have ALWAYS been a solid roller guy, BUT todays hydraulics are no joke, so I would not be scared to run a hyd roller @ 1000 HP. Even though, that is the area I am in, and went solid roller. BUT, for low maintenance, and the utmost in reliabilty, hydraulic will get teh job done.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

for ease of parts install and finding we have all the LS series plugs and dowels in a convenient kit

check out the site www.sdparts.com
part # is SDLSPK
Old 06-25-2009, 04:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
for ease of parts install and finding we have all the LS series plugs and dowels in a convenient kit

check out the site www.sdparts.com
part # is SDLSPK
yeah, I forogt about that. GO THAT ROUTE. Will save you alot of time (ask me how I know )

I dealt with Chris over at Scroggin. Not sure if he is still there, and I am sure this guy (John) can help you out just as well. Just trying to give some props to Chris, who was EXCELLENT over at Scrogg hey John, is Chris still there? if so, tell him Derrick Morris says hey (probaly won't remember me, but bought block, heads, crank, rockers, and intake from him @ August last year)
Old 06-25-2009, 05:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Still here, he does some posting over on the perf trucks side of things.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a note, you do have to run the LS2 style front and valley covers (not just any covers). Also, if you're running the cam retainer plate and bolts GM supplies, you'll NOT be able to run a double roller chain set. The position of the bolts into that cam plate are right in the way of the chain path. So you'll have to either counter sink the holes and run an appropriate bolt, or grind the hell out of the stock setup to clear.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: Race LSX block.. lifter, timing chain, rocker, and valley cover questions??