Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Recommendations for my L92 in 68 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for my L92 in 68 Camaro

Hi guys, I am somewhat new to the site. I have been doing allot of research on here and I got to say, lot's of good information!! Everyone, keep it up!

I wanted some Input from you guys. I got my hands on a L92 engine from an Escalade and I will be bolting it up to a T56 and the whole package is going in my 68 Camaro.

Now, I will be running a stock 08 corvette LS3 intake on the engine, and the control will be handled by a GM performance LS3 crate engine wiring kit. Now since this wiring kit does not support the VVT that was on the truck engine, I will need to replace the Cam, so, what do you all recommend to get the most bang for my buck keeping on a budget?

I was also wondering if any of you could tell me where or who has quality aftermarket rings for this engine? I am keeping the stock pistons, but I need rings and the whole "while I am there" thing is kicking in and maybe for the same price as stockers, I could get better quality aftermarket rings? What do you guys think?

If you need anymore information on my set up, aske away.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 12:41 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Nickc
Hi guys, I am somewhat new to the site. I have been doing allot of research on here and I got to say, lot's of good information!! Everyone, keep it up!

I wanted some Input from you guys. I got my hands on a L92 engine from an Escalade and I will be bolting it up to a T56 and the whole package is going in my 68 Camaro.

Now, I will be running a stock 08 corvette LS3 intake on the engine, and the control will be handled by a GM performance LS3 crate engine wiring kit. Now since this wiring kit does not support the VVT that was on the truck engine, I will need to replace the Cam, so, what do you all recommend to get the most bang for my buck keeping on a budget?

I was also wondering if any of you could tell me where or who has quality aftermarket rings for this engine? I am keeping the stock pistons, but I need rings and the whole "while I am there" thing is kicking in and maybe for the same price as stockers, I could get better quality aftermarket rings? What do you guys think?

If you need anymore information on my set up, aske away.

Thanks

bang for teh buck cam swap, is that what you are asking? You want to know what needs to be replaced, and not? Or???

Why would you want to put new rings in and keep the stock pistons? Why new rings really? Is the motor worn out or??
Give us some info on WHAT it is you are wanting to do with teh car, and what are your intentions?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Teching In

When i picked up the engine, a co-op student at the dealership put the engine back together to store it back in the parts department, when he put it back together, he did not compressed the rings enough and forced them in and damaged the rings on 3 cylinders (cyl#2,6 &7). after inspection, the block and pistons are ok, but I need at least 3 sets of rings now and I don't want to take a chance using any of the old ones, therfore, I am looking for a set of rings. Just want to know what is out there. (long story how I ended up with the engine, but as it stands I have it with busted piston rings)

For the cam, just going to be street driven, and basically stock engine. The only reason I need to replace the came is because I am removing the VVT setup cause I will be running the engine with the GMPP crate engine wiring kit that does not support the VVT. So looking for guys who swaped cams in this L92/LS3 engines and what the overall impressions where. Should I go with the GMPP hot cam, a Comp Cam and which one etc???

Quick Reply: Recommendations for my L92 in 68 Camaro