Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

engine siezed

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine siezed

I have an LS2 in an '88 Firebird that has seized without any warning. I had driven the car for several weeks after winter storage and never had any indications of something going bad, one day it just wouldn't turn. I tried a push start and the wheels locked up when I engaged the clutch; later, the engine couldn't be turned by hand either.

The engine did start after having it towed, but there was a clunking sound. When they shut it down and turned it by hand, there was a sound of something metal falling and they thought it may have been in the bellhousing or transmission. The shop has dropped the transmission to inspect it and the clutch/flywheel, but all those parts are ok. The engine won't turn by hand again, even with the tranny removed.

This is the first internal engine problem I've faced, so I'm not sure what to expect. I don't have time to work on it myslef, so I'm looking for an engine shop around here. Any ideas what could have failed?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sound like it bent a rod or something like that,possible hydrolocked from an injector hanging open
Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I never thought of hydrolock from an injector. Someone recommended a shop here in Germany that did some work on his LS1, so hopefully I can trust them with my engine.

Quick Reply: engine siezed