Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil pump may be going in the LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump may be going in the LS1

Not sure if it is the oil pump, gauge (factory) or sending unit, but when I hit the pedal for WOT my oil pressure drops well below 40 then bounces around then recovers and hit around 60. When at idle, it is very bouncy as well, dropping below 40 at times. I have not done anything to this car since I bought it 5 months ago, save the 2K+ miles I put on it, so I know the oil needs to be changed, but I am sure dirty oil is not the issue here.

I am getting ready to do my A4 to M6 swap and will be pulling the engine out in the process so that: 1) I can clean and repaint the engine bay and 2) just to make the process less stressful. Anyways, I figured that at that point I could change out the oil pump. I do not want to do too much to the engine because my planes are to build up a LQ9, or the like, so to put a lot of money into this LS1 would be foolish,; however, I want to make sure it will not blow up on me till the LQ is built and ready to be dropped in.

From what I have gathered, the LS6 ported oil pump is an upgrade for the LS1, am I correct?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks guys!

DM
Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Banned

I have been looking up info on the pored LS6 pump upgrade for my LS1. Am I to understand that if using the LS6 modified pump, I run the risk of the pump sucking dry the oil pan? I was looking at the Katech pump with the shim; is this not a good option unless i get a high capacity oil pan?

DM
Old 09-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Banned

45 views and nothing??? Did I place this in the wrong section?

DM
Old 09-04-2009, 05:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are looking at the stock gauge and it is being erratic like you describe, it is probably just the sending unit. Buy a new one. If you are using a true mechanical aftermarket gauge then you may have an issue.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you really need to put on a mech gauge and see where your oil pressure is before doing anything-if it's low,i doubt it's the pump-i have seen very few wear out.Generally the bearings wear out first causing the low oil pressure.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
you really need to put on a mech gauge and see where your oil pressure is before doing anything-if it's low,i doubt it's the pump-i have seen very few wear out.Generally the bearings wear out first causing the low oil pressure.
If it's bouncing around my money would be on the sending unit. They have a history of going bad - all the time.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info guys! I will look into the sending unit and go panning for gold

DM