Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Converting L92 to LS/376

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Converting L92 to LS/376

I'm new to the LS series of engines so I may ask a few dumb questions. I would like to convert a 2008 L92 to have similar performance to the LS/376 crate engine. Also I'd like to convert to a cable driven throttle body vs a drive by wire to allow for a 200R4 TV cable. The plan is to install it in a '67 Chevelle. I was going to put my ZZ3 in but this will be more interesting if I can get it all to work.

Here's what I believe I'd need to change so far.

- Convert from VVT to Non-VVT (LS2 Timing cover, cam gear, and ?)
- LS3 Intake (will the injectors and sensors work?)
- Hot cam (88958733, do I need to replace the lifters also)
- Change valves(springs also? any difference in the installed height on the springs)
- Throttle body (not sure what one to use for cable driven)
- ECU (Could I use the one for the LS/376 or do I need another one?)

What else?
Old 10-03-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have dod you will have to replace the lifters and get a new valley cover, not a big deal, u will have to pull the heads tho if thats the case, if not, your good to go.

i dont know about the injectors, i bought a ls3 fuel rail from gm and got 42 pound bosch 3s from a sponsor on here fic injectors (great price, service, company, and warranty)

depending on the computer you run you will have to get a lingerfelter converter box for the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft, you will run the stock settings and sensors if you use an ls3 or l92 computer tho...

deff change the valvesprings, but dont get a hotcam, withought going into it, there are betters.. look into the one in my sig, lg motorsports(another sponsor of this site) and there g6x3, mine idles nasty and runs like a bat out of hell, daily driver too

most 90mm cable driven throttle bodys work the same.. i use a holley 90mm, it works well tho, no complaints. i think it looks better, but thats just my opinion, but new they are just as expensive as a fast or nick williams, which is what most on here run..

not positive on your computer going into a 67, i put my l92 converted to ls3 in a transam so i used stock computer with a tune on it...

everyone will say it so i will too, arp rod bolts, and its not a bad idea to use arp headbolts, if u ever pull the heads again, they are reausable, where as stock gm bolts are one use only! they stretch and are no good for a second torquing...

hmm if you have any other questions let us know, i just got done with this instal, it runs like a champ.. im much more happy with this motor than my old ls1

oh and p.s. you could always carb it and put a distributor cap on it, if your into that kind of thing, itd make it an easier swap prlly too...
Old 10-03-2009, 12:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hot Cam is fine but it all depends on what you want. Remember that you will need the 3 bolt 4x cam gear as well as an LS2 or LS3 front timing cover.

You can buy a loaded LS3 intake which will have the injectors and throttle body. If you use the GMPP Controller kit you could build a bracket off the electronic throttle pedal for your TV cable. That way you can use the LS3 compplete loaded intake.
As said above change the valvesprings. The L92 are only good to about .520 lift and don't have much seat pressure.
If you go with the Hot Cam you can get a set of the LS2/LS3/LS6 yellow valve springs. They are reasonably priced.

No need for an aftermarket converter box, or a cable throttle body.

SDPC should have just about all the parts you need.

If you have the heads off and extra cash get a set of LS3 intake Valves. They are hollow stem and a little lighter than the L92.

Post a picture when it's done.

Robin
Old 10-04-2009, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

After reading some articles and the Mast Performance site leaving the VVT may be ok. Actually they appear to have good results using the truck intake. I'm not sure if it will fit under the hood of the '67.

I haven't bought the trans yet so it seems like a 4L80 may be a better choice. It looks like some have been able to put it in a '67 with minimal tunnel mods. I'd like to have it look like a stock '67 SS until you see under the hood.

Is the oil pan any different for the VVT verses an F body oil pan? It looks like the S&P modified F body seems to fit the best. It doesn't look like it holds much oil though with the amount they show in their pictures cut out.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am doing the same conversion as we speak into my 01 ss. After reading this thread I am closer to finding out everthing I will need to make this work in my car. I will be using and aftermarket cam which will most likely be the one from Virginia Speed. I like the power it made on a 6.0 L92 headed motor and L76 intake.

I am wanting to go with a FAST 102 but some people are saying it is more reserved for stroker motors. The new camaros pick up well with them, so I tend to think otherwise.

I see also I will have to buy an ls3 front cover for the motor and replace the lifters in the motor to ls3 or ls7 lifters.

I already know about the 58x to 24x reluctor and to get the converter from lingenfelter. What about the knock sensors though? Doesn't somebody sell the adapter harness for that such as Speartech?

I will most likely get a set of ported heads from WCCH and send in my old ones as a core.

Are there any other things I am forgetting that me and the original poster might need to know for doing this swap?

My motor is also going in front of a turbo 350 trans. Will that be an issue? There was an ls1 in front of it before.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I am doing the same conversion as we speak into my 01 ss. After reading this thread I am closer to finding out everthing I will need to make this work in my car. I will be using and aftermarket cam which will most likely be the one from Virginia Speed. I like the power it made on a 6.0 L92 headed motor and L76 intake.

I am wanting to go with a FAST 102 but some people are saying it is more reserved for stroker motors. The new camaros pick up well with them, so I tend to think otherwise.

I see also I will have to buy an ls3 front cover for the motor and replace the lifters in the motor to ls3 or ls7 lifters.
You only need to do the lifters if your L92 has cylinder deactivation. My 2008 spec Escalade motor had VVT but didn't have DOD.

I already know about the 58x to 24x reluctor and to get the converter from lingenfelter. What about the knock sensors though? Doesn't somebody sell the adapter harness for that such as Speartech?
Correct - stock LS1 knock sensors work, you just need the harness.

I will most likely get a set of ported heads from WCCH and send in my old ones as a core.

Are there any other things I am forgetting that me and the original poster might need to know for doing this swap?

My motor is also going in front of a turbo 350 trans. Will that be an issue? There was an ls1 in front of it before.
No idea about the tranny, mine is bolted up to a stock T56. I think everything has been covered, I read and reread and reread the stickied thread LS3 into an F-body thread, its got every thing you need to know.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

I converted a L92 to basically an LS3. Info in my build thread. Link in sig.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Converting L92 to LS/376