Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Will LS9 topend bolt up to LS7 block?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will LS9 topend bolt up to LS7 block?

Here's the question guys. I'm planning my conversion out, and to start out I'll be throwing a junkyard LQ4 in my car to get all the kinks worked out. But the engine I have wet dreams about is the LS7. But then, I love superchargers.... And the thought was born; "Hey, why won't the top end of a LS9 bolt right onto the LS7?" That would be perfect, since the theme of my project is "The baddest version of my car the General could have produced", I.e. using factory parts for as much as possible.

So what it boils down to is, I want to directly compare the LS9 and LS7 with the intent of bolting the intake, supercharger and cooler, and maybe heads of the LS9 to the block of the LS7.

If I'm resurrecting an old topic or beaten horse, let me know and point me to those discussions if you would! Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Brian at Thompson Automotive has done a couple of these for a development project. It's a high end Corvette. The car was at the SEMA show in Novemeber. He used an aftermarket rotating assembly and the LS7 Block. The LS3 top end was then installed. The torque is AMAZING. The power is all there but the torque almost makes the car impossible to drive at anything over moderate throttle.

Lingenfelter has also built and tested many LS9 configurations. They may have an LS7 block with the LS9 by now.

The big problem with the TVS 2300 is that it is more blower than most people need or can use. They are selling like crazy to push 5 pounds on a 6.2. The 7 liter with a 2300 and 9to1 compression ratio can use the capacity of the 2300.

I will make more power with a 1900 and low compression at 14 pounds than all those running a 2300 at 5 pounds with 10.7 compression ratio.

Less mass to spin up is a good thing!

Robin
Old 10-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FireFox05
Here's the question guys. I'm planning my conversion out, and to start out I'll be throwing a junkyard LQ4 in my car to get all the kinks worked out. But the engine I have wet dreams about is the LS7. But then, I love superchargers.... And the thought was born; "Hey, why won't the top end of a LS9 bolt right onto the LS7?" That would be perfect, since the theme of my project is "The baddest version of my car the General could have produced", I.e. using factory parts for as much as possible.

So what it boils down to is, I want to directly compare the LS9 and LS7 with the intent of bolting the intake, supercharger and cooler, and maybe heads of the LS9 to the block of the LS7.

If I'm resurrecting an old topic or beaten horse, let me know and point me to those discussions if you would! Thanks for the help guys.
Sorry for my VERY late reply, but I found this topic via Google today.
I know that Callaway has an Eaton Supercharger combined with the LS7 engine on their SC652!

Quick Reply: Will LS9 topend bolt up to LS7 block?