Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

oil in intake - is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in intake - is this normal?

I have a stock LS2 that I recently ran for the first time. It came out of a 2005 SSR with 23,000 miles on it that was wrecked. I bought it from a yard that had documentation showing its origin, video of it running before being pulled, etc. If they were lying about what it came from they went way out of their way to enforce the lie. Its way out of warranty now so I guess I'm just screwed if this isn't normal.

I ran it for maybe a total of an hour before pulling the intake back off for disasembly and paint. I'm not familiar with how much blow by these engines should have. I did not have EGR hooked up to the intake at all. There was the layer of oil around every intake port that you see along with a thin film coating the insides of each intake port.

I may be worried about nothing, I'm hoping that's what everyone says. The engine ran flawlessly, did not smoke at all, and sounded great. It was overfilled on oil by about 3 quarts as a result of a stubborn oil pump that didn't want to prime. But it wasn't ran dry at all, just spun over with the starter.

Thanks,

J. J.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

LS engines put a lot of oil in the intake through the PCV system. Unfortunately, normal.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Launching!

I'm sorry, I typed egr before but I ment pcv. I didn't have any pcv lines hooked up.

J. J.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not uncommon to get oil in the intake from blowby. Get a catchcan, and or a vent filter on your valve cover.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Very normal.

GM didn't think these valve cover's were worth putting baffles in because it's not OHC and doesn't sling oil around in the head near as badly. Unfortunately, the intake mani sucks in quite a bit of oil from the valve covers.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

If the PCV system wasn't hooked up at all, then the only places that oil could have come from are the rings or valve seals. Being 3qts over full could have caused that easily. Crank case pressure also could have caused it if you have the PCV ports plugged on the valvecovers & valley pan. Personally I would run a PCV setup with some catchcans if neccessary. Even with a valve cover vent, crank case pressure will build a little and oil will contaminate sooner than it would with a PCV system. JMO.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
If the PCV system wasn't hooked up at all, then the only places that oil could have come from are the rings or valve seals. Being 3qts over full could have caused that easily.
Yes, that's exactly what I was worried about. If PCV was hooked up I wouldn't think twice about it. This was just a test run before tear-down. (It's a completely custom buggy built from the ground up, so I have to tear down to paint before I get it into permanent running condition.) I guess at this point I'm not going to tear the engine down even if it was excessive so I'll run it. Its enough to where I think it could be normal.

J. J.

Quick Reply: oil in intake - is this normal?