Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

opinion my cam spec on LS2 w/stock LS3 heads/intake/injectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinion my cam spec on LS2 w/stock LS3 heads/intake/injectors

I already posted on LS2.com but looking for some more advice. i know the LS3 heads discussion has been beaten to death, but im just looking for some specific info pertaining to my current build. with that said, Im fairly unknowledgable when it comes to cam specs and other technical stuff. just curious how my cam and mods would take to Stock LS3 heads and intake, vs ported 243's, and ported LS2 intake. Im about to pull the trigger on the LS3 set up but want to get some last minute opinions. Im more concerned with increasing TQ under the curve and not so hell bent on Peak HP numbers. i dont drag race the car, just street driven, so i prefer power down low, where im ussually putzing around.

I guess Ive been reading too much about LS3 not liking bigger cams, milled, vs non milled, yadda yadda yadda. while i dont consider my cam "big", i think its on the larger side of a medium cam. i dont really understand all the cathedral vs square port stuff either. all this info is giving me a headache...

Current mods and specs on my GTO are:

Kooks Signature Series stepped LT headers, Bassani cat back, Magnaflow X-pipe, Svede OTRCAI w/ vector HSRK, P.P LS2 TB and Intake, Predator cam 230/230 .612 .612 114, SLP UDP, LS7 Clutch, GMM street

current dyno #s: 433 RWHP/393 RWTQ i really thought my TQ numbers would have been higher with this set up.

any input would be appreiciated. Im trying to do a budget build since I'm losing a lifter and need to pull the heads anyways. so please dont recommend $3000.00 fancy ported heads. I figure with the LS3 setup i can sell my stock 243's, ported LS2 intake and injectors to help offset the cost.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by psycho1000r; 12-04-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Well, I just changed out my vettes LS6 engine, as it ate a valve, lost a piston and head, with a LS2 out of a 06 GTO. My LS6 made 450 rwhp and 405 rwtq. Had LS6 2.5 stage heads, 228/232 xer 114 lsa, ARH's 1 3/4 w cats, Fast 90, ported LS 2 TB. Have electric cutouts.

The LS2 out of the GTO has LS3 heads milled 30 thousands, LS3 intake and a 227/235 lsl lobe 114. We used the LS3 injectors, LS2 TB off my LS6. Also put in a new LS 7 clutch. Kept the 1 3/4 inch ARH's.

Used the same dyno, same place, same tuner, whos been tuning since god started keeping time. The LS2 now dynoed with the cutouts opened @ 450 rwhp and 420 rwtq. So the torque did come up 15 lbs.

If you go to GM performance, you can see the results after they engine dynoed 8 different cams on a new LS3 motor. My numbers come close to their average results with the LS3 engine when you factor in they used a electric water pump, underdrive pully and didn't have cats. They tested cams which were mid size as yours and driveablity were the issues they looked at.

So, my thoughts are, if you go to the LS3 heads/intake on a LS2 364 ci motor, don't expect major benifits from your investment. My mid range torque is up but not much. You can feel the difference, but after 4200 rpm the LS6 came on and ran hard.

Have you looked at having your current heads ported. Several good porters come to mind. Might give you a bigger bang for your buck. Remember, these pulls were on the same dyno, tuner and all were sae corrected.
Good luck.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...p-446rwtq.html

pat G knows how to get what youre looking for! that was with untouched L92 ehads with heavy valves, cat converters, etc.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Skypilot797
Well, I just changed out my vettes LS6 engine, as it ate a valve, lost a piston and head, with a LS2 out of a 06 GTO. My LS6 made 450 rwhp and 405 rwtq. Had LS6 2.5 stage heads, 228/232 xer 114 lsa, ARH's 1 3/4 w cats, Fast 90, ported LS 2 TB. Have electric cutouts.

The LS2 out of the GTO has LS3 heads milled 30 thousands, LS3 intake and a 227/235 lsl lobe 114. We used the LS3 injectors, LS2 TB off my LS6. Also put in a new LS 7 clutch. Kept the 1 3/4 inch ARH's.

Used the same dyno, same place, same tuner, whos been tuning since god started keeping time. The LS2 now dynoed with the cutouts opened @ 450 rwhp and 420 rwtq. So the torque did come up 15 lbs.

If you go to GM performance, you can see the results after they engine dynoed 8 different cams on a new LS3 motor. My numbers come close to their average results with the LS3 engine when you factor in they used a electric water pump, underdrive pully and didn't have cats. They tested cams which were mid size as yours and driveablity were the issues they looked at.

So, my thoughts are, if you go to the LS3 heads/intake on a LS2 364 ci motor, don't expect major benifits from your investment. My mid range torque is up but not much. You can feel the difference, but after 4200 rpm the LS6 came on and ran hard.

Have you looked at having your current heads ported. Several good porters come to mind. Might give you a bigger bang for your buck. Remember, these pulls were on the same dyno, tuner and all were sae corrected.
Good luck.
thanks for the info. yes Ive looked into porting my 243's but then I'll have to upgrade fuel injectors and most likely get a better intake, such as a fast 102. going the ported route will cost me more, because i'll have to use my stock 243s as a core, so theres 400-500 i cant make up. fast 102 are like 800-900 so it all adds up quick.

i dont know, i feel like such a simpelton when it comes to all this technical stuff. god i wish i knew how to turn a wrench!
Old 12-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tainted
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...p-446rwtq.html

pat G knows how to get what youre looking for! that was with untouched L92 ehads with heavy valves, cat converters, etc.
jesus, i want those TQ numbers!!

Quick Reply: opinion my cam spec on LS2 w/stock LS3 heads/intake/injectors