Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam phaser actuator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam phaser actuator replacement

I am doing a cam swap (for the second time) in a LY6. My hanes manual says to replace the actautor if you ever remove it. Is this really necessary? or can I just reuse the old one? The motor only has 8000 original miles on it.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:31 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Its the cam bolt you have to replace as its torque to yield and they are VERY hard to come by lemme tell ya.... The bolt itself is a valve that controls the oil flow into the phaser. Ive spoken with a few GM techs who have reused them with success simply because waiting four months on back order to get one wasn't an option but iirc I had to wait 4-5 months to get mine. So order it up asap. There are different versions too so be sure to get the right one. Use the VIN from the vehicle if possible and if thats not an option pull the cam bolt/valve out and theres numbers on it that will identify what you need. While your in there take note of the numbers on your phaser as you need to match the right phaser PN's with the proper cam core or you'll be in all heaps of trouble. There are at least two different phasers out there and they both utilize different cam timing events. Im sure youve read this by now but you'll also need to buy and install the phase limiter kit as well.

Quick Reply: Cam phaser actuator replacement