Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

"Check oil" message keeps appearing. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy "Check oil" message keeps appearing. Help!

Good afternoon!

A friend and I just changed the oil in my '06 M6 GTO. Mobil 1, Mobil 1 filter, all the good stuff. Anyway, it was fine for a few days. I had to go on a job-search related road trip shortly thereafter and the car was great. 26 mpg at 70 mph, quiet, comfortable, yadda yadda.

On the way back, about 3.5 hours from home, I pulled onto the interstate from a rest stop a little enthusiastically, as I had been babying the car the entire trip and was bored, and "check oil" appeared on the message center, along with the dripping oil can. It lasted less than 5 seconds, so I pulled off the next exit (about a mile down the road) and checked my oil level. Fine.

Next few days it was fine. My next enthusiastic throttle run set it off again, but again only for a few seconds then it cleared.

I narrowed it down to heavy throttle application in the first four gears. RPM independent, if I jumped on the gas it would set it off. Flooring it in 5th and 6th did nothing. Now, it does it whenever it wants. Easy throttle acceleration sets it off more and more.

There is plenty of oil. The temp gauge never goes up. I'm assuming it's a sensor that's taking a crap.

If it's just a sensor, I'm not that worried. I just don't want to blow the damn thing up.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

maybe the front sump gto pan is running dry?? or maybe the oil sloshing to the back of the pan is temporarily making the sensor read low?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,369 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Are you talking about the "it's time to change your oil light"? If so, it will continue to bug you until you turn it off. It works on a clock, meaning hours of runtime. You do know how to turn it off?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont think that light would only come on when you stick it.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Teching In

The runtime light is "change oil." Anyway, my friend at the local garage put a tester on it and it came back that the sensor is shot.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The oil pressure sensor located in the rear valley cover behind the intake manifold is a part that commonly fails on the LS2 GTO. To verify it you can use a scan tool to verify proper oil pressure or install a mechanical gauge.

Quick Reply: "Check oil" message keeps appearing. Help!