Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ls7 heads dropping valves

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
There was some speculation that the LS7 got the LS9 pump after 2009, but it wasn't the case. The LS7 still gets the same pump that it did in 2006. The crank sprocket changed in 2009 to accommodate the thicker pressure section of the LS9 pump and rather than continuing to make two sprockets they just made the one sprocket go on both engines since it fits on both. A 2009 crank sprocket will fit with a LS7 oil pump, but not the other way around.

To answer the OP, there is nothing wrong with the LS7 exhaust valves. There is a frenzy of people on the Corvette Forum who refuse to accept that conclusion, but we are continuing to use them in racing engines that we have to stand behind and we do not see a problem. We are seeing excessive guide wear (intake and exhaust) on LS7 and LS9 (especially with higher lift camshafts) which we are continuing to gather data on, but we do have a fix that we are doing for any track-going car which is bronze guides and our titanium/molybdenum intake valves.

What about the exhaust valves?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 427LS7HCI
I heard that bronze guides and SS valves were only a bandaid to the issue.
Well that may be but i know a ton of guys out there running around with stock LS7 heads and stainless SS valves in them. If it's a band aid fix then so be it....... my band aids been staying on just fine!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:56 PM
9 Second Club

There was some speculation that the LS7 got the LS9 pump after 2009, but it wasn't the case. The LS7 still gets the same pump that it did in 2006. The crank sprocket changed in 2009 to accommodate the thicker pressure section of the LS9 pump and rather than continuing to make two sprockets they just made the one sprocket go on both engines since it fits on both. A 2009 crank sprocket will fit with a LS7 oil pump, but not the other way around.

To answer the OP, there is nothing wrong with the LS7 exhaust valves. There is a frenzy of people on the Corvette Forum who refuse to accept that conclusion, but we are continuing to use them in racing engines that we have to stand behind and we do not see a problem. We are seeing excessive guide wear (intake and exhaust) on LS7 and LS9 (especially with higher lift camshafts) which we are continuing to gather data on, but we do have a fix that we are doing for any track-going car which is bronze guides and our titanium/molybdenum intake valves.
I thought i seen some where you guys upgraded and took out the stock sodium filled valves in your race packages? Why would this be?? Have you seen the inconsistancy of the wall thickness inside these exhaust valves!? Also in many threads i have found you stating that there was no issue with the stock rocker bearings??? This is laughable at the least since i have seen 3 sets myself blow the needle bearings, not to mention sloppy side to side movement on the rest that didn't pop.

Come on guys, do you really think a shop that helped with the development of the mighty LS7 will admit to any problems
Old 08-22-2012, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some really nasty miles on a set of stock ls7 heads with stock guides valves and rockers. And I can break anything. The motor in my mustang was describes as the 2nd most beat to **** motor this machine shop as ever seen. Which I took pride in, because I give my stuff hell. And my ls7 is in a 4k lb car with high compression and nitrous
Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would certainly be checking the rocker arm bearings if you are getting a noise. Way more of a problem then the dropped valve syndrome . None the less I replaced the exhaust valves on my ls7 with stainless. And upgraded the rocker trunnions to comps.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by veee8
I would certainly be checking the rocker arm bearings if you are getting a noise. Way more of a problem then the dropped valve syndrome . None the less I replaced the exhaust valves on my ls7 with stainless. And upgraded the rocker trunnions to comps.
Did it take care of the noise?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
They all do it. Its not a bad batch... LS7 exh valves are hollow and break... Replace them with stainless valves.
So how do we take something like this, one of you is saying it's the valve, other one is saying it's not but it could be something else?
Old 08-24-2012, 06:49 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by merim123
So how do we take something like this, one of you is saying it's the valve, other one is saying it's not but it could be something else?
I already explained this in my post above. If you take Katech out of the equation you will see all the major performance and head shops get rid of those sodium filled exhaust valves
Old 08-24-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ramairws6
I already explained this in my post above. If you take Katech out of the equation you will see all the major performance and head shops get rid of those sodium filled exhaust valves
I have noticed this. But over on cf, there are a few failures with ss valves. I guess the question now is ; what's causing the excessive guide wear?
Old 08-25-2012, 12:46 AM
Teching In

I second that question.
I feel like the exhaust valves are more of what the problem retains to, or is being accused of retaining to. Are you guys just upgrading your intake valves and guides and leaving the exhaust oem specs?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

I agree with everything you have said so far. And I like how Katech gives their recommendations for upgrading the heads for "racing". What about the guy I heard in my town that had a ex. valve break on his 2010 z06 after pulling out of his garage? Car had less than 20k miles, bone stock.

I know of a reputable shop here in so-cal that suggests not even getting a tune on a c6 z06, let alone big mods, if you still have a warranty as they don't have much faith in the exhaust valves. And yes I own an 09.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

Most shops hardly see failures compared to the amount they mod. Atleast for street cars.
What shop anyways? One of the biggest shops down in SoCal told me they havent seen a failure on a street car except 1 that had a huge cam, they do agree its the Exhaust Valves but dont see many failures
Old 08-29-2012, 07:09 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe Lingenfelter is also using stock LS7 exhaust valves.

Originally Posted by jbs02somws6
I agree with everything you have said so far. And I like how Katech gives their recommendations for upgrading the heads for "racing". What about the guy I heard in my town that had a ex. valve break on his 2010 z06 after pulling out of his garage? Car had less than 20k miles, bone stock.

I know of a reputable shop here in so-cal that suggests not even getting a tune on a c6 z06, let alone big mods, if you still have a warranty as they don't have much faith in the exhaust valves. And yes I own an 09.
If you have high valve guide wear enough to cause a valve to break (which we have not yet seen actually happen) you would have excessive valvetrain noise. That would be the indication that you should take it to the dealer for warranty repair.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Stock exhaust valves are fine.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:52 PM
9 Second Club

Hahahaha, not drinking your coolaid Jason... sorry. Did you see the couple stock valves that were cut open and all the inconsistant wall thickness!?? You said on the CF almost a year ago you guys were checking into this very closely and were going to report back with your findings? What happened there my friend??
Old 08-29-2012, 03:53 PM
9 Second Club

How about you saying there was nothing wrong with the stock rockers?
Old 08-29-2012, 04:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hahahaha, not drinking your coolaid Jason... sorry. Did you see the couple stock valves that were cut open and all the inconsistant wall thickness!?? You said on the CF almost a year ago you guys were checking into this very closely and were going to report back with your findings? What happened there my friend??
I'm going to quote this post so I can refer to it later. You'll see what I mean soon.

No, I didn't see a thread about inconsistent wall thickness but it doesn't concern me. The valves aren't the problem and we know that.

We are still monitoring valve guide wear on as many engines as we can. We have come to the the conclusion that bronze valve guides fixes the problem.

How about you saying there was nothing wrong with the stock rockers?
There is nothing wrong with stock rocker arms unless you fall into the small batch problem of 2007 that is well known.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Does anyone have any info on these? Good, no good, etc? Are PRC Springs good?
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-488-pr...cfm-heads.aspx
Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Does anyone have any info on these? Good, no good, etc? Are PRC Springs good?
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-488-pr...cfm-heads.aspx
Don't really impress me all that much. My WCCH Stage 2 LS7's flow the same and more in some areas with smaller port sizes. Good thing is the deck thickness and they are 6 bolt.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Why is the guide wear only on the exhaust side?
Service limit is .0037.
What is "high enough to cause breakage"?

.0050? .0100? .0200?

Many people are finding clearance at or above .0100 and no obvious increase in noise.

Quick Reply: Ls7 heads dropping valves