Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ls7 heads dropping valves

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 03:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rsz288
What is it that typically fails Jason? Locks, retainer, springs, valve? All? Even with zero abuse?
The guides wear in a a bell pattern and it works the head of the valve until it breaks off. Unfortunately if the machining error exists it can happen with just normal driving.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
The guides wear in a a bell pattern and it works the head of the valve until it breaks off. Unfortunately if the machining error exists it can happen with just normal driving.
Ok thanks Jason. Machining error? What to look out for?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:31 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Supposedly the rockers pedestals in the heads were machined incorrectly. Google "LS7 Guide Wear Report".
Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ok thanks Jason. Machining error? What to look out for?
Originally Posted by KCS
Supposedly the rockers pedestals in the heads were machined incorrectly. Google "LS7 Guide Wear Report".
Actually it was valve guide to seat concentricity. The only way to truly measure is to take apart the heads and measure the clearance. Symptoms are noisy valvetrain and excessive oil consumption.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 PM
KCS

Actually it was valve guide to seat concentricity. The only way to truly measure is to take apart the heads and measure the clearance. Symptoms are noisy valvetrain and excessive oil consumption.
Thanks for clearing that up Jason, that seems more reasonable than the rocker pedestals. I'd assume it was a single point live pilot type seat and guide machine, rather than a dead pilot. Is the intake problematic as well or is it isolated to the exhausts only?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by KCS
Thanks for clearing that up Jason, that seems more reasonable than the rocker pedestals. I'd assume it was a single point live pilot type seat and guide machine, rather than a dead pilot. Is the intake problematic as well or is it isolated to the exhausts only?
We've seen the intake also.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 AM
KCS

Thanks again for the info Jason.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like I need to post to clarify something:
Myth#1: guides only wear on tracked cars--false
Myth#2: guide wear will have symptoms such as oil consumption or noise

Neither of those were the case with my 16,000 mile ls7 garage queen. The guides look worn enough to break the valve head off at any time.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=l4gkKpDNZ_E&feature=plcp
Old 03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a universal LS7 issue, or confined to certain production times? Is there a fix short of buying an aftermarket head?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Is this a universal LS7 issue, or confined to certain production times? Is there a fix short of buying an aftermarket head?
Rebuild of the head with new valve guides and recutting the seats should fix it. Extra insurance with solid stainless valves and dual springs depending on your feeling about the stock valves.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:25 AM
Teching In

what percentage of LS7`s do you think are effected? so are you saying the valve guides are fine unless the valve seat is machined off center of the guide?
Old 03-10-2013, 05:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I think on cf GM admitted to the machining issue late during the `12 model year and they were supposed to check all heads for the issue before building, in theory making `13s gtg (assuming the LS7 wasn't built in early `12). However, they also down played the issue stating the problem would pop up in the first few thousand miles, when it happens at random; and despite this being a known issue, effecting more cars than they care to admit, they will not issue a recall nor fix LS7s with this defect out side of warranty (yes, your `07 Z06 you bought brand new could have 10K miles, have the bad heads and your SOL). I mean I understand charging to inspect the head if the car is out of warranty, or in warranty but there's no symptoms; but if this defect is found and/or causes damage, take care of your customer.

This really pushed me away from the C6Z06, which is sad because there are several very low mileage `06 and `07 Zs in my price range. I guess I'll stick with a `10+ GS.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
I think on cf GM admitted to the machining issue late during the `12 model year and they were supposed to check all heads for the issue before building, in theory making `13s gtg (assuming the LS7 wasn't built in early `12). However, they also down played the issue stating the problem would pop up in the first few thousand miles, when it happens at random; and despite this being a known issue, effecting more cars than they care to admit, they will not issue a recall nor fix LS7s with this defect out side of warranty (yes, your `07 Z06 you bought brand new could have 10K miles, have the bad heads and your SOL). I mean I understand charging to inspect the head if the car is out of warranty, or in warranty but there's no symptoms; but if this defect is found and/or causes damage, take care of your customer.

This really pushed me away from the C6Z06, which is sad because there are several very low mileage `06 and `07 Zs in my price range. I guess I'll stick with a `10+ GS.
I agree man, i have been a GM guy through and through and this just burns my *** how they are dealing with there "elite" supercar

Last edited by ramairws6; 03-24-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kurt D

Correct, GM said the machining error only affects 09 to 11 cars which is utter bs.

Here's a link to my 09 which is making a ticking/tapping shound, definitely some kind of miss. Only 18k miles.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by LS7doug
what percentage of LS7`s do you think are effected? so are you saying the valve guides are fine unless the valve seat is machined off center of the guide?
I have no idea what percentage. We'll probably never know. Yes, it's either machined wrong or it's not. If you don't have the problem early then you never will.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Teching In

I have no idea what percentage. We'll probably never know. Yes, it's either machined wrong or it's not. If you don't have the problem early then you never will.
Can you explain what kind of noise I should listen for? I know the injectors are noisy...I have stethoscoped the top half of the engine a few times but I also hear a consistant tick from the top of the valve covers too...I assume this is normal...and it does amplify with RPM..but the noise is consistent over the rpm range
Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by LS7doug
Can you explain what kind of noise I should listen for? I know the injectors are noisy...I have stethoscoped the top half of the engine a few times but I also hear a consistant tick from the top of the valve covers too...I assume this is normal...and it does amplify with RPM..but the noise is consistent over the rpm range
It would sound like a sewing machine noise. More than an injector tick. If you need a stethoscope to hear it you probably don't have a problem.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to my friend. He has an 07 ZO6 that had 28k on the clock last year when his exhaust valve broke. The carnage was impressive to say the least. The head of the exhaust valve broke off at 6500-7000rpm and the piston exploded out the side of the block.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the guide bore itself off center, or the bore in the head the the guide presses in to, or the seat bore of center from the guide?

What sort of concentricity error in thou?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Is the guide bore itself off center, or the bore in the head the the guide presses in to, or the seat bore of center from the guide?

What sort of concentricity error in thou?
Hahahaha, good luck getting a definative answer on that........

Quick Reply: Ls7 heads dropping valves